Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paying off wage garnished debt

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Paying off wage garnished debt

My wife has a debt that is being garnished from her wages. She never would tell me much about it, other than they take "about $100" every paycheck. It's been going on for years and she just always figured it would happen until it didn't happen anymore. Anyways, I finally ran her credit report. It looks to be a defaulted student loan that is owned by Texas Guaranteed. I was greatly relieved to see the outstanding balance is only $1583. I want to call them up and just pay it off, but I want to go about it the right way.

First off, is there any chance of getting a PFD in this instance? I'm guessing no, since they're getting their money no matter what due to the garnishment, but figured maybe I'll try since I'm willing to pay it off in full now rather than drag this on another year or more. 

Second, how do I make sure they stop garnishing the wages after I pay it off? Will they send me any documents? The last thing I want to do is overpay these people. 

Any help is appreciated!

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Paying off wage garnished debt

Texas Guaranteed is actually very plesent to work with. I defaulted with them (not to the point of wage garnishment) and they helped me get back on track. I have no real advice but to tell you they are not stetchy. 

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Texas Guaranteed is actually very plesent to work with. I defaulted with them (not to the point of wage garnishment) and they helped me get back on track. I have no real advice but to tell you they are not stetchy. 

Wow, that's really good to hear. I appreciate the input!

Message 3 of 4
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

My wife has a debt that is being garnished from her wages. She never would tell me much about it, other than they take "about $100" every paycheck. It's been going on for years and she just always figured it would happen until it didn't happen anymore. Anyways, I finally ran her credit report. It looks to be a defaulted student loan that is owned by Texas Guaranteed. I was greatly relieved to see the outstanding balance is only $1583. I want to call them up and just pay it off, but I want to go about it the right way.

First off, is there any chance of getting a PFD in this instance? I'm guessing no, since they're getting their money no matter what due to the garnishment, but figured maybe I'll try since I'm willing to pay it off in full now rather than drag this on another year or more. 

Second, how do I make sure they stop garnishing the wages after I pay it off? Will they send me any documents? The last thing I want to do is overpay these people. 

Any help is appreciated!

You could always ask.   The worst they could say is "no."  Since it's gotten to the point of wage garnishment, it's not likely.  However, paying it off would stop the garnishment.   They will send a release out to your DW and your DW's employer. 

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.