Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paying off

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Paying off

Can my FICO score go down if I pay a couple of old accounts that were in collection status. I mean Im taking responsibility by paying will doing this hurt my score or help it?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Paying off

It may, but more than likely it will help you.

Remember, showing as paid or unpaid, it reflects the same way. A negative on your credit history. Always ensure you attempt to setup arrangements with the CA or OC for a Pay for Delete of these accounts, will greatly increase your chances of getting a better score due to the fact that the negative history of this account will be completely purged from your history.

Best of luck attempting PFD options!
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks.   I have done several PFDs and so far its worked. However, there were two that wouldnt budge. I sometimes wished I would have waited for them to fall out in October 2015

Message 3 of 4
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Can my FICO score go down if I pay a couple of old accounts that were in collection status. I mean Im taking responsibility by paying will doing this hurt my score or help it?

If they are updating monthly now then your Fico is being kept depressed so you would want to settle with them to stop the updating. If they have not updated in a while you would want to wait till they either accept a PFD offer or it ages off your CR. Once off your CR and past SOL they are Zombies and can be settled for much less.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.