Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paying the OC instead of the CA

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Paying the OC instead of the CA

I have unpaid medical bills that the OC sent to a CA of $350 from August 2016. I just spoke with the OC today about charity care and they said they can send me information on applying. If I don't qualify, I'm willing to pay the balance to the OC. The CA has reported to the CRA as delinquent and was wondering will they be forced to remove it off my reports if I pay the OC either cash pay or charity care?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Paying the OC instead of the CA

No.  Deletion of the collection is not required based on payment of the debt, regardless of who you send the payment to.

You can offer to pay the OC (provided they still own the debt) in exchange for their agreement to terminate assigned collection authority.

That will then require the deletion of the reported collection based on CRA policy of deletion of a collection if the collection authority has been terminated and the debt remains unpaid.

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

would i need OC to have that in writing for the termination?

Message 3 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

It would be prudent, if asserting that the creditor terminated their collection authority prior to your payment of the debt, to have some documentation of that assertion, such as a written statement from the creditor.  The CRA may require more than a simple assertion by the consumer.

If the debt collector has reported to the CRA, the more direct approach is to simply offer a PFD to the debt collector, and forgo the need to get the OC to terminate their business agreement with the debt collector.

Have you tried offering a PFD directly to the debt collector?

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes I tried offering PFD and they have refused so that's why I'm trying the OC now

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.