Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Payment Plan = mistake?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Payment Plan = mistake?

I've decided to start trying to repair my credit this year. I had two agencies that had purchased old debts still sending me notifications with offers to settle or go on a payment plan. I made the mistake of not researching these options first and went ahead and started a payment plan (3 payments settling on 40% of the balance). My first payment charged to my account yesterday and today I have a hard inquriy on my credit report from a collections agency I've never heard of? Not sure why or how this is legal? Is there anything that I can do at this point to undo any damage I might have done? I've read on some forums that I should have called the agency that I settled with before paying anything to make sure they remove the debt from my report once I've paid. I read on a different forum that paying a settled amount is just as detrimental to your credit score. Help!?

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: Payment Plan = mistake?

It could just be a coincident that a different CA did a HP.  And yes they do have PP in collecting a debt.

Yes, if at all possible, get it in writing that they will delete. 

No, if you settle it is still a paid debt.  If it says settled for less it will not look as good as PIF.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.