Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Payment history = 41 point score increase

tag
CBrent
New Contributor

Payment history = 41 point score increase

My TU score increased 41 points today, from 646 to 687.  It's pretty amazing. This is the first time I've seen the color yellow and the words 'good' associated with my credit score.  Needless to say, I'm pretty happy about it. 

I also purchased my TU credit report to see what could have caused the increase. The only difference is that my report now shows a history of on-time payments on my revolving lines of credit--Visa, MasterCard and two store cards.  Most of those lines are less than a year old. I opened them because, after joining this forum, I realized having only one card--a secured Capital One card with a $300 limit--wasn't sufficient to demonstrate to the credit reporting agencies that I can now use credit responsibly. I opened that card way back in 2011, and hadn't applied for any credit cards since then. So, in January of this year I applied for several cards based on MYFICO recommendations for my credit score, and was approved for most of them--an unsecured Cap One Quicksilver One MC, Barclaycard MC, a Chase Zappos Visa, a Shell gas card and two store cards (Comenity/J. Crew and Synchrony/Amazon).  The average credit line for which I was approved was about $500. 

As this forum predicted, my FICO score did take a slight drop in January after opening the accounts, and it's stayed around 620 - 640. Since then, I've kept my balance on almost all cards showing 0%, and my overal usage around 30%.   (I still need to lower that, I know, to under 10%.)  All my cards are set to pay the minimum automatically, just to be sure I never miss a payment. Otherwise, I do what this forum has recommended: I make all purchases with one or two cards instead of ever using my debit card--so things such as groceries, gas, clothes, etc. Everything on the cards. And then I pay them in full once or twice each month. This 'strategy,' otherwise known as responsible credit line usage, apparently helped my FICO score tremendously. 

Oh, and my Cap One unsecured line was raised from $500 to $1,500 recently too. 

Thank you everyone for your good advice. This forum is such a great resource. 

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Payment history = 41 point score increase

Good news, and good for you. My TU went up 13 pts today. Every little bit helps right?

Message 2 of 9
makeupho
New Contributor

great job!  congrats! Smiley Happy

Ch13 filed 3/2009 : discharged 1/2014
Starting 2/16/2013:
EQ673 TU667
Current 6/3/2018: EX816 EQ806 TU820
Goal: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congratulations!!  Smiley Happy

Mannnn today must be the day of Trans increases...mine went up 20

This better not be a delayed April Fool's Joke lol 

Message 4 of 9
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Great job!   Emoticon-Thumbs Up.png

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

My TU went up 4 points today. At least it didn't go down 4 points LOL
Message 6 of 9
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Wow!

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Great news! That's the way to do it. Keep up the great work. I am on my way to better scores too.
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Awesome!

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.