Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Payments not helping score?

tag
bear812c
Regular Contributor

Payments not helping score?

I have two student loans I'm paying on. I'm in a position to pay them off rather quickly but I have held off doing so thinking that the monthly payment I am making is helping my credit score. After months of monitoring my score I know now that these monthy payments are doing nothing for me, score wise. my credit score isn't budging. Should I just pay them off in full? We are talking about $3300 total.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

Re: Payments not helping score?

If your payments report late, your FICO will be penalized.

AAoA can have a positive impact on your score as your accounts age.  This is rounded down to the nearest year... 3.96 years = 3 years AAoA.  4.01 years = 4 years AAoA.

The amount utilized on your revolving credit lines has a huge impact.  Using less than 10% of your credit on any credit cards will yeild better FICO scores.

Having a mix of accounts helps your FICO, ie: credit cards, installment loans, mortgage

I don't think paying off your installment loan will have any significant effect on your FICO score.

EX:694 TU:744 EQ:777
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 2 of 8
bear812c
Regular Contributor

I've been paying on these student loans for 10 years now. They are not late or delinquent. Actually, I have them paid up, due to over payments and my next student loan payment isn't even due until March 2015. Also, I have 3 credit cards and I keep my overall utilization of the combined three under 10%. 

Message 3 of 8
guiness56
Epic Contributor

The SL good payment history helps you.  But paying it off will have little impact.  Once paid and closed they will report for up to 10 years as a positive account from the date closed.

Message 4 of 8
DaBears
Senior Contributor

Installment loans only account for 10% of your Fico scoring. What else is on your credit reports that might be holding down your scores?

Message 5 of 8
kroberts67
Established Contributor

@bear812c wrote:

I've been paying on these student loans for 10 years now. They are not late or delinquent. Actually, I have them paid up, due to over payments and my next student loan payment isn't even due until March 2015. Also, I have 3 credit cards and I keep my overall utilization of the combined three under 10%. 

Try showing a reported balance (on one card only) of UT at 2% (down from 10).  That should give you a little boost.

FICO: EQ 814 | TU 847 | EX ? (Started in the low 500's... you can do it!)

Amex BCE $25000, Amex AP $20000, SFFCU Visa $15000 + LOC $5000, USAA Amex $6000, USAA MC $7000, Cap1 $9500, Freedom $12000, Slate $500, Barclays "RIP" SM $11500, USBank Cash+ $12500, Citi Diamond $11200, Citi Double Cash $12000, Care Credit $13500k.
My Credit Repair Journey
Message 6 of 8
bear812c
Regular Contributor

I have some old collections on my credit that are holding me down, all of which are due to expire within the next 18 months. I just thought that the payments I make on my student loans would be helping my score out even if it is just a little, but I haven't seen any difference.

Message 7 of 8
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.