cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Payoff collection account that is on record until Oct 2014?

tag
TT52

Payoff collection account that is on record until Oct 2014?

Hi All,

I'm trying to build up my credit to prepare for my first house within the next 1 to 2 years.

I have two negative items on my credit report and was wondering what would be the best move for me... I have read it may be better to let the item fall off instead of paying because it will renew on my report. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Additionally, I have two student loan accounts with $38K and $17K that I have yet to start paying on because I'm still in school. I'm assuming if I start making payments now, it should only help my CS...but how much should the payment amount be? I'm trying to weigh the pros/cons of living a tight budget to raise my score.

Thanks for any and all help!

Item #1

Details: Account scheduled to contiue on record until Oct 2014

Last Reported: 7/2012

Item #2

Details: Account scheduled to contiue on record until Nov 2015

Last Reported: 7/2011 

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
fishbjc
Senior Contributor

Re: Payoff collection account that is on record until Oct 2014?

These items fall out of SOL, but don't really go away. 

Will the collection agency accept a pay-for-delete?  If not, I'd pay them and ask for a goodwill deletion.  Otherwise, they will pop up again from a JDB.  UGH.

These amounts aren't that large, so I'd just pay them when I had the funds.

Who are the Ca's?  What are these collections for?

Message 2 of 4
fishbjc
Senior Contributor

I paid on my sons loans early, I just paid like $100 monthly to knock it down.  I recently paid it off for him and it feels good! 

Message 3 of 4
TT52

I am able to pay off the debt now and will request a pay-for-delete in writing when I do so.

CA's are CommonWealth Financial Systems and JR Brothers Finance. Both are medical/hospital collections (one was an insurance mixup and the other was a collection I was unaware of. The debt was sent to the mother of my child who refused to pay...when I called the pediatric office years later to change back to them as primary care doctor, they notified me of the debt and then reported me as the joint owner).

I can afford to pay about $100-$200 towards my student loans starting now, but the money may also be needed elsewhere. Any idea how much this would affect my credit score? I know it would be much better to start paying down now...but if it will make very little difference in my score, I would much rather wait until I'm finished with school.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.