Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paypal collections/Convergent Outsourcing

tag
tiger_uppercut
Established Contributor

Paypal collections/Convergent Outsourcing

This one is annoying, but I need some advice.

Background:

Back in May 2009 I sold a MacBook Pro to a buyer via eBay and Paypal. I had it sent with signature and delivery confirmation, and recorded all of our email conversations. The buyer received the laptop and was happy with it. We left each other positive feedback and that was that. Just before the 60 days were up, they initiated a chargeback with their credit card claiming the purchase was fraudulent.

Paypal then tried to deduct the $1850 from my Paypal account, but since I had withdrawn the money from the laptop, it went into a negative $1850 balance. I submitted all of my documents - including signatures, emails, proof of delivery, etc. to them and they "initiated an investigation." Somehow even with all of the evidence, due to the fact that it was a chargeback, they found in favor of the buyer. Paypal froze my account until the funds were paid. Apparently this is a common Paypal scam and sellers often get screwed this way. It was a HUGE pain in the arse, but I closed my attached bank account and told Paypal I would not be covering the chargeback for a legitimate sale. I never sold on eBay again, Paypal closed my account and nothing else ever happened with it.

Fast forward to today. I got a call from a collection agency attempting to collect $1943 on behalf of Paypal. This has never showed up on my credit report in any fashion. I don't believe when I opened my Paypal account I provided a SS# - but I'm not entirely sure. The account was originally opened a LONG time ago. Will this eventually show up on my credit report if it hasn't already? I absolutely refuse to pay Paypal a cent, they're lying swindlers and did nothing when presented a mountain of evidence. However, I would like to know what I should do about this CA, if anything. I attempted to file a police report at the time the incident happened, but Boston Police were incredibly unhelpful and referred me to an internet crimes division that never followed up. I still have a copy of the FTC affidavit from the time it happened. It is notarized, nto sure if it's something I should send to the CA.

Sorry for the novel - I'm just annoyed because I've done a lot of work to my credit report and everything is set to be clear by 2/2016. I really would hate for anything to come of this. Any thoughts on whether this will pop up on my CR would be appreciated!

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Paypal collections/Convergent Outsourcing

Well glad to see Im not the only one who refused to settle with PP, same kind of crap here happened to me (diff business), was corporate though not personal... They could decide to report it, since this happened in 09 the DoFD is in 09 and it can only report for a max of 7.5 yrs from the DoFD, the CRAs tyically schedule deletion at 7 yrs to remain within the law.

Message 2 of 7
tiger_uppercut
Established Contributor

@gdale6 wrote:

Well glad to see Im not the only one who refused to settle with PP, same kind of crap here happened to me (diff business), was corporate though not personal... They could decide to report it, since this happened in 09 the DoFD is in 09 and it can only report for a max of 7.5 yrs from the DoFD, the CRAs tyically schedule deletion at 7 yrs to remain within the law.

Not sure if I should bother doing anything with the CA. Worst case scenario it would stay on my report until 7/2016. I would be really pissed about it if it suddenly showed up now, though. I also hate Paypal with the fire of a thousand suns, so this would be insult to injury. I'm trying to research and see if other people have had Paypal collections show up for the first time this late in the game - if my CR is not at stake I won't lift too much of a finger.

Is it worth having the CA send me a physical letter so I can DV? I've never received zilch from them, though I moved to CA from MA in 2009. Also not sure if the FCRA even comes in to play since it's not on my credit report.

And yes F*** Paypal! I did every single thing they asked and provided all the documentation you could want and then some and it didn't matter. A thief walked away with a few MacBook Pro, no questions asked.

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello! 

I guess we can start a club now (or a class action suit) I read your story and felt like I was narrating one. except it was a different item.  I know this post is from a year ago, but what was the outcome?  I'm thinking on contacting them again and beg to remove it from my credit (as much as I hate them)

Message 4 of 7
Espresso
Contributor

This may be of interest to you. I was sent this 7 days ago from PP Corporate.

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Smiley Surprised !!! Careful what you wish for I guess... Thanks for the info! lol

@Espresso wrote:

This may be of interest to you. I was sent this 7 days ago from PP Corporate.

Message 6 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

You dont need to have received any letter, such as a dunning notice, from a debt collector in order to send them a request for debt validation.

Any DV that is sent either prior to dunning notice or within 30 days of a dunning notice is timely, and invokes an automatic cease collection bar on the debt collector.  FDCPA 809(b).

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.