Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Penalty for disputing correct info.

tag
jon17brown
Valued Member

Penalty for disputing correct info.

I currently have nothing bad on my credit report to dispute (Thanks to MyFico Forums Smiley Happy) but I am curious to know what kind of trouble you can get in for frivolous disputes. Anyone know?

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
kjm79
Valued Contributor

Re: Penalty for disputing correct info.

You can be banned from disputing information that is wrong.  Dispute ONLY if it's incorrect!  And try to go through the creditor first and not the CRA's. 

They take it a little far though.  I had an account that hadn't updated in months and was reporting a balance that was almost $1000 more than the current balance.  I disputed online through EX that the balance was incorrect.  It updated with the correct balance within 2 weeks.  This account again didn't report for a couple of months.  I tried to dispute that the balance was now paid off again and it said I had already disputed this account and that I needed to write or call them with further information and wouldn't let me do it online.  And this was for disputing incorrect information on an open account. 

CH 7 Filed 7/27/15 Discharged 11/16/15
Starting Score: EQ 620 TU 568 EX 593
Current Score (07/13/16): EQ 674 TU 649 EX 674 (FICO's 08)
Cap1 QS ($5350) (Combined QS and QS1) Discover It ($4100) MilStar ($8,600) Fingerhut ($800)
Off to the garden 05/01/16
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.