cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pending Dispute - How Do Other Lenders See Them?

tag
CreditUnionFan
Valued Contributor

Pending Dispute - How Do Other Lenders See Them?

I have a pending dispute regarding incorrect Date of First Delinquency, and now that it's seven years from the correct DoFD, that the whole account should be deleted from my credit report.

The account has gone from Closed to now showing as Open, and has a comment that the Dispute is Pending.

My FICO score seems unaffected from the Closed to Open status, but the dashboard reports that the account is in Collections and Past Due. Do other lenders see this account while Equifax is sorting out the correct status?

I was going to garden... Honest!
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
RonM21
Valued Contributor

Re: Pending Dispute - How Do Other Lenders See Them?

Others may know this answer more than I do, but I thought I saw that during a dispute, the info isn't calculated into your score? That being said, I'm not sure if it keeps them from being able to see it, although there may be a note that it's under dispute.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 2 of 4
CreditUnionFan
Valued Contributor

@RM21 wrote:

Others may know this answer more than I do, but I thought I saw that during a dispute, the info isn't calculated into your score? That being said, I'm not sure if it keeps them from being able to see it, although there may be a note that it's under dispute.

Right, it seems like the score didn't notice that it changed from "Closed Paid Charge Off" to now being "Open Past Due Collections/Charge Off".

I have two concerns: 

another lender noticing this seven year old account suddenly go from closed to open, and taking adverse action while the dispute is pending.

Home Depot (Citi) unwilling to extend the credit I was hoping to use to get 10% off on basement repairs. (insurance funds go further if you can get 10% off on the materials) Are Citi's computers "smart enough" to notice that it's showing as past due, but $0 owed?)

I fully expect the dispute to work out the same way it did on Experian. Experian publicly posts that they only hold derogatory information for 81 months, not the full 84 months, so the account in question was already removed from Experian three months ago.

I was going to garden... Honest!
Message 3 of 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The party who pulls your credti report wont know the exact basis for the dispute, and thus its potential impliation when resolved, or how it will be resolved.

In the interim, certain OC account information is termporarily removed from scoring, so they cant obtain a true credit score.

Lendors want to see the credti history once it is correct and the score returned to normal.

As an aside, seven years from DOFD is not basis for required exclusion of a collection or charge-off.  The dispute should have been delayed until the full 7 years plus 180 day maximum statutory period had expired.  Until then, an estimated exclusion at 7 years is based on a voluntary, early eaclusion of the additional 180 days by the CRA.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.