Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Personal Check With Conditions?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Personal Check With Conditions?

Hi again folks,

I'm making great progress with my credit and now I'm down to the final items - 4 judgments.  My dilemma, though, is that I was soooo dumb by not taking care of these right away.  I had no idea they could incur 12% interest - for the past 7 years - which, obviously doubles the balances.  I've sent settlement offers, but the CA's won't budge and want the balance in full.  

Does anyone know if you can send a personal check with conditions?  Like, could I mail a check to the OC for the full judgment amount (less the interest) and make it non-transferrable to the CA somehow?  Is it possible to include a statement that by cashing the check, they agree to accept that payment as full settlement...or else return the check?  

Curious if anyone has ever tried this before...

Thanks

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Personal Check With Conditions?

I've seen others post conditional endorsement stipulations on their checks.  Just to let you know, most states don't allow that type of thing.  

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Shogun, I appreciate the feedback.  I wasn't sure if it's legal or even if it would be acceptable.  I had thought that maybe if the OC saw an actual check, they may go for it vs. a letter saying I'll pay something.  Money in hand is always better than a letter to request a settlement, which then requires another letter response.

Thanks much.

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Send them a letter with your condition and ask them if they would accept that in exchange for your money. Tell them you require their response in writing. If they write you back stating that they've accepted your offer and to remit payment, then send them the money with a copy of your original letter and their repsonse. Keep a copy of all of that. Thats a formal agreement for them to do whatever was agreed in exchange for the money.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.