Personal Loan / Bad Credit / Co-Signer /

I have a FICO score around 550 (bad, I know--Trying to improve) 

I am in need of a personal loan (around $3500) to pay off ALL of my judgments (two) and collections, and also for vehicle repairs.  My mom is willing to co-sign, and I am willing to offer my vehicle (paid off obviously) as collateral, and she is even willing to offer her vehicle.  

Is this possible, or will I automatically be denied based on my collections/judgments?  I really don't want to apply, and have my scores be lowered just to be declined. 

If this IS possible, does anyone have any suggestions of what banks/companies I should consider?

Thanks so much!!

Epic Contributor

Re: Personal Loan / Bad Credit / Co-Signer /

A lot depends on mom's credit rating.  If she co-signs, that makes her liable for payment should the loan go into default.

It wont be a contract for which only you are liable, so they will also pull and consider her CR and score.

Loans like this are best secured if you have a lendor who is willing to sit down and talk with you, face-to-face.  Do you have membership with a credit union?

That is where I would first turn.

I unfortunately don't belong to a credit union. I would consider the co-signer's credit as "good" My dads on the other hand is EXCELLENT! I don't know if he would be willing to co-sign though. 

Epic Contributor

Either find a CU or maybe try USBANK, you can apply as joint, put your mom as primary and you as secondary on the application.

Fico Scores: EQ- 670., TU 705 Sync, EX 728 SoFi(05/04/15)
I'm just trying to catch up to RON1
Highest Limit: Navy Federal Cash Sigi Visa $50k (AU)
Lowest Limit: Target $200
83 Cards and Counting :smileytongue:

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the tip creditaddict. But since I make more than my mom (she works less than part time) Should I really put her as the primary?

There isn't a US Bank near me (closest one is about 2.5 hours away) should I still apply with th em online?

Moderator Emeritus

[ Edited ]

Know, OP, that paying off any judgments or CAs (without a PFD), won't help your FICO scores any. However, there are steps you can take to get them off (e.g. PFDs for the CAs).

New Visitor

Good afternoon everybody, I am in desperate need of a loan for $1000 to pay off bills & rent before I get evicted from my apartment. I have bad credit & tried desperately to find a loan. Is there anything that I can do? I do not want my kids and I to be on the street. Does anyone anybody that knows what I can do. I was thinking of even maybe asking any church in my area fir help but don't know if that is possible! PLEASE PLEASE HELP!!!!!
Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
† Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on actual applicant approvals and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.