cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Personal loan vs cc = who gets paid first??

tag
DrJim
Frequent Contributor

Re: Personal loan vs cc = who gets paid first??

In my own experience in working with people there is the "smart" thing to do, then there is the thing that works!  I have people list their debts smallest to largest.  They pay the minimum on the larger amounts, and throw everything they can at the smallest debt.  When they pay that off they use that money, plus the minimum payment they were making on the next smallest balance.  What this does is give people some quick victories that keeps them motivated.

There are, of course, exceptions.  One person received $4K and if he had paid off all the smaller debts his cash flow only would have increased about $200 month.  Instead we paid off a loan from a family member that saved $1,000 month.  Other than that we stuck with the plan and he was debt-free in a little over a year.

Just my two cents worth.  The smartest plan is not always the best plan.  To each his own!

Starting Score: TU 672 EQ 654 10/20/09
Current Score: TU 775 EQ 783 EX 799 (PLUS)
AMEX Delta Platinum $35K, NFCU Visa Signature $30K, HHonors Reserve Visa $35K, WF $13.5K, IHG Rewards Club MC $25K
Message 11 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.