cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pinnacle and US Bank - Chargeoff, But Still Collecting?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Pinnacle and US Bank - Chargeoff, But Still Collecting?

Hi all - 

We're in the process of getting a VA loan, and something came up on my husband's credit report. A US Bank credit card opened in March 2009, charged off June 2011 for approx 6k, purchased by Pinnacle in 2011, current balance 9651. It's still showing on his credit report (not on mine). Should we call and negotiate this? My first inclination after reading everythign I could here about Pinnacle is that it's a nightmare to deal with these yayhoos. It's been charged off for several years, so do we really still owe on this? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks! 

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
LShawn08
Frequent Contributor

Re: Pinnacle and US Bank - Chargeoff, But Still Collecting?

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi all - 

We're in the process of getting a VA loan, and something came up on my husband's credit report. A US Bank credit card opened in March 2009, charged off June 2011 for approx 6k, purchased by Pinnacle in 2011, current balance 9651. It's still showing on his credit report (not on mine). Should we call and negotiate this? My first inclination after reading everythign I could here about Pinnacle is that it's a nightmare to deal with these yayhoos. It's been charged off for several years, so do we really still owe on this? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks! 

Yes, you still owe on the account. “Charge off” means that the credit grantor wrote your account off of their receivables as a loss, and it is closed to future charges. When an account displays a status of “charge off,” it means the account is closed to future use, although the debt is still owed.(Experian.com)

All fee's from Pinnacle I expect stuck onto your original amount of $6,000.00. See if their willing to negotiate that balance is crazy.

Are you sure they sold it off or did they actually assign Pinnacle your account ? 

Settling would be best because it's probably holding up your loan.

Starting Score:TU:791(Dec3), EX:783, EQ:000
Current Score: TU:786(Aug9), EX:776, EQ:782 (Aug8)
Goal Score:820 across all boards

If all pork chops were perfect, we wouldn't have hot dogs! -Steven Universe
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi all - 

You need to find out what the SOL is in your state before proceeding with any actions.

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

SOL in Oregon is six years across the board for credit card debt. 

So does that count from when it was opened or when it was charged off? 

Message 4 of 10
LShawn08
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

From the date it's charged off. 

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

All right - so since it's several years old, how would you suggest negotiating to close? 

Message 6 of 10
LShawn08
Frequent Contributor

Figure out the max your actually comfortable paying and work up to that point. They pennies for those accounts, so they make a profit not matter what you pay.  Only my suggestion though. Somebody should be able to give your more tactical advice with dealing with Pinnacle. I personally never have.

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Somebody should be able to give your more tactical advice with dealing with Pinnacle. I personally never have.

Anyone? I really don't want to give these people anything as I've heard it's a nightmare but it might end up holding up my loan approval. 

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Somebody should be able to give your more tactical advice with dealing with Pinnacle. I personally never have.

Anyone? I really don't want to give these people anything as I've heard it's a nightmare but it might end up holding up my loan approval. 

Bump

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@LShawn08 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

From the date it's charged off. 

Thats incorrect. It begins from the first 30 day late before the charge off.

You wan't to be careful with any debt thats still inside the SOL. Contacting them may encourage them to increase their collection activity, and possibly file suit. In that case you want to make sure you have funds to PIF to avoid a judgement.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.