Did you mean: 

Placed for collection

tag
jdarville
New Visitor

Placed for collection

Good Afternoon,

I have an item on my credit report with the following status:

Experian: Seriously past due date / assigned to attorney, collection agency, or credit grantor's internal collection departmen

Equifax Unpaid

Transunion: Placed for collection

I called the debt collector and asked if i payed in full can they remove it from my credit report, they responded that their company cannot remove items from credit reports. The company said that it will show a balance of 0 if i pay it off but they cant remove it.

Should i pay off the account if its still going to be there? With the balance showing 0, will it still boost my credit score? Please advise.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Placed for collection

@jdarville wrote:

Good Afternoon,

I have an item on my credit report with the following status:

Experian: Seriously past due date / assigned to attorney, collection agency, or credit grantor's internal collection departmen

Equifax Unpaid

Transunion: Placed for collection

I called the debt collector and asked if i payed in full can they remove it from my credit report, they responded that their company cannot remove items from credit reports. The company said that it will show a balance of 0 if i pay it off but they cant remove it.

Should i pay off the account if its still going to be there? With the balance showing 0, will it still boost my credit score? Please advise.

Paying or not you will have to weigh.. If they are updating monthly it would be to your advantage to pay them off as each month they update it appears to FICO as a new CA, if they are not updating when they do it will drop your score as the status date comes current. If these are not past your states SOL, poking the bear is not a good idea unless you can PIF since they could sue to obtain full payment.

Message 2 of 3
jdarville
New Visitor

Re: Placed for collection

Its listed as key derogatory on my credit report.

I have an account on privacyguard.com and they have this "what if simulator".
On the simulator it says if i pay off this account it would increase my score by X amount. This is the reason i'm looking into it.

Update

I just payed it off so hopefully in the next 30 days i should see some type of improvement.

I have 2 more items like this on my report and after that i should be up to date. I just need my credit back!

The other item are listed as "C/O" and "KD" and expected to be removed 01/2018

The last item is listed also as "C/O" and "KD"and expected to be removed 12/2017

Do you think its worth calling thoses collection agencies to get it removed?

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.