cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plan of Attack? Capital One CO and New Cards.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Plan of Attack? Capital One CO and New Cards.

I just started working on repairing my credit. My current scores are EX 599 TU 604 and EQ 584 (Fico Score 8 from CCT). I have a few baddies that need to be taken care of.  The first one is a Capital One charge off for less than $200. I was thinking of calling to pay and the GW the executive office however, does anyone know if Capital One will do a PFD? 

My second question is whether anyone knows if opening too many store cards will tank my credit or affect being approved for prime cards down the line? Last month no one would give me credit to save my life but somehow I was pre-approved for a Torrid card from Comenity (350 SL). I've had the card for a month and it started posting on my CR. Since then I've been able to open up a Credit One card (not excited about those fees) and just today was able to use the shopping cart trick to get lines from Overstock ($250 SL) and J Crew ($250 SL). I plan on using one card a month and letting it post a balance of $15 or so just to keep my utilization going. I was thinking of just rotating between those four cards until I can prequal for something a little better. Is 3 store cards too many?

Thank in advance!

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
damnedanddetermined
Established Contributor

Re: Plan of Attack? Capital One CO and New Cards.

CapOne does NOT do pfd....its prob best to pay what is owed and in a couple of months get back into their "good graces", contacting the EO was a waste of time for me. I do have their number and a contact name if youre interested. They are forgiving, once their paid Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 6
J91605
Frequent Contributor

I would pay it and move on with my life. From what I've read they don't often GW or PFD.

Starting Score: 6/30/15 EQ 554 TU 534 EX 608
Current Score: EQ 630 TU 635 EX 653
Goal Score: 680 across the board

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge!
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I just started working on repairing my credit. My current scores are EX 599 TU 604 and EQ 584 (Fico Score 8 from CCT). I have a few baddies that need to be taken care of.  The first one is a Capital One charge off for less than $200. I was thinking of calling to pay and the GW the executive office however, does anyone know if Capital One will do a PFD? 

My second question is whether anyone knows if opening too many store cards will tank my credit or affect being approved for prime cards down the line? Last month no one would give me credit to save my life but somehow I was pre-approved for a Torrid card from Comenity (350 SL). I've had the card for a month and it started posting on my CR. Since then I've been able to open up a Credit One card (not excited about those fees) and just today was able to use the shopping cart trick to get lines from Overstock ($250 SL) and J Crew ($250 SL). I plan on using one card a month and letting it post a balance of $15 or so just to keep my utilization going. I was thinking of just rotating between those four cards until I can prequal for something a little better. Is 3 store cards too many?

Thank in advance!

I'm not a fan of store cards, they are scored slightly less than bank cards. BUT, when rebuilding you get what you can get. Forget about any complicated "four card balance rotation" scheme. All you will do is generate headaches and bounce your score around. Just let the Credit One card report a small balance each month, and PIF the other ones before their statement close date. Make sure they each get used at least once every six months. No need for them to show a balance when used, its just for the lender to keep them active.

Pay the Cap one charge off as soon as you can - don't sweat getting a PFD for it, you need to get it settled before it spawns a separate collection, and its balance hurts your UTI.

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks you guys! I will just go ahead and pay if off. How long do you think I should wait after paying to app for a new card with them?

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks you guys! I will just go ahead and pay if off. How long do you think I should wait after paying to app for a new card with them?

One year from the original CO. You can try sooner, but their stated policy is one year from a charged off Cap One account.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.