Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plan of attack...

tag
maygirl
Contributor

Plan of attack...

Ok, so I have officially signed another 6mth lease in order to get a few items cleaned up and hopefully purchase a home in Nov/Dec! Here is what I am working on:

Citi Financial: Willing to take a settlement for $2000 on a $3500 balance

Citi CC: I got a letter from a collection company on this one ARS which offered $1050 on a $2700 balance, HOWEVER I called last night and they said Citi had pulled the debt back on May 5th! What should I do now? Contact Citi? I can pay the settlement amount, but not the whole $2700.

Kohls Cap1: Owe $498, NCO has the account but it still reports as Kohls, they offered me $262 to settle. I may have screwed this one up, because I talked to them on the phone said I would pay the $262 with a money order, but I want to send a letter to do a PFD. Can I still send this letter even though I said I would pay the settlement amount. They refused to report PIF or PFD over the phone, saying they just don't do that...

Midland: Ok they are adding interest twice a month!!!!! The original amount owed is $1500 and they are up to $3000!! This is the last one I am going to deal with since it is listed as a collection therefore not hurting my UTL like the other ones are.

I think with these paid I should be able to get approved for a mortgage... What do you think??? Am I right that settling debt won't hurt my score anymore that it is being hurt right now by reporting derog every month?? I know PIF is optimal, but I can't afford the do that and have enough for a down payment...

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
FrugalRican
Blogger

Re: Plan of attack...

Why do you think that just paying those off will get you approved for a mortgage? Did they all agree to PFD with a settlement?
What are your scores?

Follow my financial journey: http://www.frugalrican.com

EQ FICO (01/16/2012): 656 - EQ FICO (02/16/2012): 743 - EQ (02/24/2012): 760 - EX (04/28/2012): 739 - GOAL 2013: 800+

AMEX BCE (0/10K) --- BOA 1-2-3 (0/15.9K) --- Discover More (0/6K) --- Chase Freedom Visa (0/1.4K) -- Hyatt Visa Sign. (0/5.8K) -- Barclay's NFL Card (0/7.5K) -- Chase Sapphire Preferred (0/5K)

Message 2 of 4
maygirl
Contributor

Well, my mid score is a 578, but it has been going up every month since I have been paying on time. The score simulator shows those balances as open accounts therefore using up my utility, when I put in paying them down to $0, which a settlement would do, the scores go up to the mid 600's. I just know I have NO chance with open unpaid collections, so I am hoping that settled collections that are reporting a $0 balance will be better. Since they are reporting as revolving/open balances isn't this correct???

Advice before I actually pay or make arrangement to pay would be appreciated!!!

S Pay Down the Balances on All Your Credit Cards

You currently have a combined Revolving/Open Account balance of $6,128.00.

Message 3 of 4
maygirl
Contributor

ugh... So I called Citi for the cc and the lowest offer they would do was 70%... No PFD no reporting it PIF for settlement nothing! It sucks because ARS sent me an offer for $1050 that expired on May 15th!! Citi told me they cannot carry over their offer...

So since it is still in the SOL, what should I do? Send a letter with my settlement amount? Include the letter for ARS which shows their settlement offer?

The lady told me that at some point the debt will be sold again, but she doesn't know when...

Has anyone experienced them pulling back the debt like this before????? I looked at court records and Citi doesn't have any pending or past court records...

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.