Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please Critique - 2nd MOV Letter to EX

tag
adamseve
Established Contributor

Please Critique - 2nd MOV Letter to EX

I hate EX.  Today I received a previously investigated type letter from Experian for my MOV request for 2 public records.  They basically told me to screw off.  Please take a moment and critique my 2nd Move before I file an FTC Complaint and send an ITS letter.  Let me know your thoughts and please be nice, but tough.

Thanks in advance.  Here goes:

Dear Sir or Madam: 

This letter is written notification that I am requesting a description of your reinvestigation procedure as is lawfully my right under the Fair Credit Reporting Act § 611(a)(7).  In the event that you’re not familiar with this statute I am posting it below:

“A consumer reporting agency shall provide to a consumer a description referred to in paragraph (6)(B)(iii) by not later than 15 days after receiving a request from the consumer for that description.”

This is NOT a request for a re-investigation or re-verification.  I am demanding a detailed and complete explanation of who your source was and how Experian verified this data as is my legal right under the Fair Credit Reporting Act.  IF YOU CANNOT PROVIDE OR CORRECT THIS SPECIFIC INFORMATION THE ACCOUNT(S) MUST BE REMOVED FROM MY REPORT IMMEDIATELY AS MANDATED BY FEDERAL LAW. 

“PREVIOUSLY INVESTIGATED” IS NOT AN ADEQUATE RESPONSE – AND DOES NOT EQUAL “FRIVOLOUS!”  If you respond in this manner, it will be deemed to be in direct violation of federal law and WILL be communicated to the FTC.

Again, I am straightforwardly requesting a complete and detailed description of how you were able to verify information that includes no less than the following information:

1.  How did you verify the information reported by the listed data furnisher that is being reported on my credit report?  Did you use the Automated Consumer Dispute Verification (ACDV)?  Did you call the data furnisher?

Your source of information (data furnisher) listed as the Spartanburg Circuit Court cannot be correct because they cannot even verify the information with me.  I have been in contact with them for over 30 days trying to verify this information and have spoken with a minimum of 2 people who to date have not been able to verify the above accounts. 

Additionally, the receptionist and the Clerk of Court have indicated on several occasions that they do not directly verify anything with any of the credit reporting bureaus.  To ensure that I left no stone unturned, I specifically asked the Clerk of Court if they spoke with anyone from Experian regarding the verification of judgments.  Again, she stated, “We have not and never will directly verify anything with any of the credit reporting bureaus because we don’t have the time or the manpower to handle the onslaught of calls they would receive.”   

I pressed a tad more and asked the Clerk of Court if they have ever received any paperwork via electronic means or USPS from any of the credit reporting bureaus to verify my judgments.  She stated that they do not and have not received any correspondence via mail, fax or email.  Now I found it interesting when your employee, Eileen of Team MAXX stated that Experian mailed a verification request on May 29, 2008 and June 27, 2008 with respect to my disputes and received a response that the items were to remain.  Tell me, why would the Clerk of Court tell me they haven’t received any correspondence from Experian relative to judgments that allegedly belong to me?  What would she gain by not telling me the truth?   Who signed off on the responses that you received?  How did you receive them:  mail, fax, or email?

The data furnisher provided is incorrect.  The true source needs to be identified or the accounts need to be deleted immediately. 

2.  Did you speak to someone at the Spartanburg Circuit Court that verified these records?  Did you speak to Lucia, Cathy, Marc, or Cheryl? 

If Experian did speak to someone, then your employee, Eileen on Team MAXX, is not telling the truth because she stated today, July 22, 2008, that Experian did not speak to anyone. 

I’ve spoken to each of these people and none of them have been able to locate the following public records that are listed on my credit report because they do not exist: 

1. Spartanburg Circuit Court - Docket # 29xxxx
2. Spartanburg Circuit Court - Docket # 29xxxx

3.  If you did verify these accounts with them, what is the name and contact information of the person who verified this information?

On June 24, 2008, via Certified Mail # 7007 2680 0002 6025 xxxx received in your office on June 27, 2008, I disputed the validity of the following accounts by identifying a minimum of four (4) inaccurate pieces of information associated with these accounts and requested verification.  If Experian had in fact truly investigated these items properly you would have found that the item identified were indeed incorrect.

4.  If you are using another data furnisher, why is this not listed?  It is against the law to list an inaccurate data furnisher.  The source needs to be correctly identified so I that I, the consumer, can contact them.  I am entitled to know specifically how this was verified with the Spartanburg Circuit Court whom you say was the furnisher of information.

Once more, I am NOT asking for re-verification or re-investigation of these accounts.  I am demanding a detailed and complete explanation of who your source was and how Experian verified this data as is my legal right under the Fair Credit Reporting Act.   

Regards,
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Please Critique - 2nd MOV Letter to EX

Great letter!  I have been trying to get TU on this for quite some time now.  I know for a fact that they do not verify any information.....
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Eve,

It's a great letter, I just have a few suggestions!

IMHO, you're tipping your hand WAY too much!  If you give them enough rope, they'll hang themselves, but you're giving them the rope and then taking it back & untying the knots!

I made suggestions within your letter, just to simplify the suggestion process:  anything bold and italicized, I recommend removing; anything I recommend inserting is bolded and { in these cutesy little bracket-type things I can't remember the name of } and any other notes are bolded and underlined.

adamseve wrote:
I hate EX.  Today I received a previously investigated type letter from Experian for my MOV request for 2 public records.  They basically told me to screw off.  Please take a moment and critique my 2nd Move before I file an FTC Complaint and send an ITS letter.  Let me know your thoughts and please be nice, but tough.

Thanks in advance.  Here goes:

Dear Sir or Madam: 

This letter is written notification that I am requesting a description at this juncture, "request" is too polite, IMO {demanding an explanantion} of your reinvestigation procedure as is lawfully my right under the Fair Credit Reporting Act § 611(a)(7).  In the event that you’re not familiar with this statute I am posting it below:

“A consumer reporting agency shall provide to a consumer a description referred to in paragraph (6)(B)(iii) by not later than 15 days after receiving a request from the consumer for that description.”

This is NOT a request for a re-investigation or re-verification.  I am demanding a detailed and complete explanation of who your source was and how Experian verified this data as is my legal right under the Fair Credit Reporting Act.  IF YOU CANNOT PROVIDE OR CORRECT THIS SPECIFIC INFORMATION THE ACCOUNT(S) MUST BE REMOVED FROM MY REPORT IMMEDIATELY AS MANDATED BY FEDERAL LAW. 

“PREVIOUSLY INVESTIGATED” IS NOT AN ADEQUATE RESPONSE – AND DOES NOT EQUAL “FRIVOLOUS {an explanation of your method of verification cannot, by law, be deemed "frivolous"}!”  If you respond in this manner, it will be deemed to be in direct violation of federal law and WILL be communicated to the FTC.

Again, I am straightforwardly requesting a complete and detailed description of how you were able to verify information that includes no less than the following information:

1.  How did you verify the information reported by the listed data furnisher that is being reported on my credit report?  Did you use the Automated Consumer Dispute Verification (ACDV)?  Did you call the data furnisher?

giving them too much info here  Your source of information (data furnisher) listed as the Spartanburg Circuit Court cannot be correct because they cannot even verify the information with me.  I have been in contact with them for over 30 days trying to verify this information and have spoken with a minimum of 2 people who to date have not been able to verify the above accounts. 

Additionally, the receptionist and the Clerk of Court have indicated on several occasions that they do not directly verify anything with any of the credit reporting bureaus.  To ensure that I left no stone unturned, I specifically asked the Clerk of Court if they spoke with anyone from Experian regarding the verification of judgments.  Again, she stated, “We have not and never will directly verify anything with any of the credit reporting bureaus because we don’t have the time or the manpower to handle the onslaught of calls they would receive.”   

I pressed a tad more and asked the Clerk of Court if they have ever received any paperwork via electronic means or USPS from any of the credit reporting bureaus to verify my judgments.  She stated that they do not and have not received any correspondence via mail, fax or email.  Now I found it interesting when your employee, Eileen of Team MAXX stated that Experian mailed a verification request on May 29, 2008 and June 27, 2008 with respect to my disputes and received a response that the items were to remain.  Tell me, why would the Clerk of Court tell me they haven’t received any correspondence from Experian relative to judgments that allegedly belong to me?  What would she gain by not telling me the truth?   Who signed off on the responses that you received?  How did you receive them:  mail, fax, or email?

The data furnisher provided is incorrect.  The true source needs to be identified or the accounts need to be deleted immediately. 

2.  Did you speak to someone at the Spartanburg Circuit Court that verified these records?  Did you speak to Lucia, Cathy, Marc, or Cheryl?  Don't give them names to work with...

If Experian did speak to someone, then your employee, Eileen on Team MAXX, is not telling the truth because she stated today, July 22, 2008, that Experian did not speak to anyone. 

I’ve spoken to {several} each of these people {at the Spartanburg Circuit Court} and none of them have been able to locate the following public records that are listed on my credit report because they do not exist

1. Spartanburg Circuit Court - Docket # 29xxxx
2. Spartanburg Circuit Court - Docket # 29xxxx

(I, personally, wouldn't number this one) If you did verify these accounts with them, what is the name and contact information of the person who verified this information?

On June 24, 2008, via Certified Mail # 7007 2680 0002 6025 xxxx received in your office on June 27, 2008, I disputed the validity of the following accounts by identifying a minimum of four (4) inaccurate pieces of information associated with these accounts and requested verification.  If Experian had in fact truly investigated these items properly you would have found that the item identified were indeed incorrect.

4.  If you are using another data furnisher, why is this not listed?  It is against the law to list an inaccurate data furnisher.  The source needs to be correctly identified so I that I, the consumer, can contact them.  I am entitled to know specifically how this was verified with the Spartanburg Circuit Court whom you say was the furnisher of information.

Once more, I am NOT asking for re-verification or re-investigation of these accounts.  I am demanding a detailed and complete explanation of who your source was and how Experian verified this data as is my legal right under the Fair Credit Reporting Act.   

Regards,

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

FCRA Section 611(a)(1)(A)clearly states that upon receipt of a dispute Experian is to perform an investigation. Oviously, this did not hold true of my dispute of xx date. On xx date I received notice from Experian that my dispute had been "previously investigated". According to the FCRA, this is not an option.

I have been in contact with the clerk of the court and was informed that they do NOT report to any credit reporting agencies and that they never received any phone call or mail concerning this account in dispute. The name of the person that you say that was contacted does NOT work at the court house and never has.

If a third party is the furishner you by law must furnish me with full contact information. You have failed to do so!

Because of your blatant disregard for the FCRA, I am demanding that the disputed tradelines be deleted from my credit report. I am guaranteed, by law, that you will report with 100% accuracy and that any account I dispute will be investigated. You have proven that this cannot be done.

You now have 5 days from your receipt of this letter to remove the previously disputed accounts from my credit report. Be advised, that my attorney has in his possession all the letters and supporting documentation regarding this matter. If the accounts in question are not deleted he will file suit in Federal Court.

Make the correction needed

Message 4 of 9
adamseve
Established Contributor

HappyDays,

Are you implying that I reduce the letter to the text that you provided?  Or, are you suggesting that I add this information in the appropriate areas of the letter?

Here's my former letter that didn't work.  Hence, this new one:

This is a request as authorized by the FCRA § 611(a)(7).

On June 24, 2008, via Certified Mail # 7007 2680 0002 6025 2856 received in your office on June 27, 2008, I disputed the validity of the following accounts by identifying a minimum of four (4) inaccurate pieces of information associated with these accounts and requested verification: 

Spartanburg Circuit Court - Docket # 29xxx

Spartanburg Circuit Court - Docket # 29xxxx

On July 16, 2008, I received an updated copy of my credit file, Report # 11396xxxxx dated July 9, 2008, that indicates that the above accounts were verified with as accurate and would remain as such on my credit file. 

However, the source of information provided is incorrect.  The true source needs to be identified or the account needs to be removed. 

• Your source of information (information furnisher) listed as the Spartanburg Circuit Court cannot be correct because they cannot even verify the information with me.  I have been in contact with them for over 30 days trying to verify this information and have spoken with a minimum of 2 people who to date have not been able to verify the above accounts. 

I pressed a tad more and asked the Clerk of Court if they have ever received any paperwork via electronic means from any of the credit reporting bureaus to verify judgments.  She stated that they do not and have not received any correspondence via mail, fax or email.

• If you did verify this with them, what is the name and contact info of the person verifying this information?

• If you are using another source of information, why is this not listed?  It is against the law to list an inaccurate source of information.  The source needs to be correctly identified so I can contact them.

I am not asking that you re-verify or re-investigate this info; I am asking for an explanation of who your source was and how you went about verifying this data. 

I am entitled to know specifically how this was verified with the Spartanburg Circuit Court whom you say was the furnisher of information.

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

IMO, Happy is saying "you are giving away the farm".  Do not give them anymore information than necesary to request the reinvestigation/removal of the account.  Don't tell them how to go about getting the job done.

I was going to make the same comments this morning, but thought I would let someone else read the letter first.

I agree entirely with Happy, you are giving them all of your work, i.e. by providing all of that information you are doing the work for them!!!!
Message 6 of 9
adamseve
Established Contributor

Good point.   I thought that since my 1st letter left out so much info that this letter would be more powerful by letting them know that I know my rights. 

This is sooo very frustrating trying to figure out how much info to provide to put a little fear in them so that they'll do their job.  Atthe same time I want to let them know that you're no dummy.  I'll take them to court if I have to, but I really simply want the darn things gone.

Ok, back to the drawing board.  Any more suggestions?  I've got to send one off to both EQ & TU as well.
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

The main thing....make them do the work....if they don't follow through with what it takes to get the job done, pursue other legal options.   If you give them too much info they could turn around and use it to "verify account" without even doing the work.  Keep all info to yourself that you can use to "prove" your case if necessary.

I would follow the suggestions outlined and try to limit how much info you give them, especially names, dates, times, could or could not verify etc.  Keep the letter simple and direct.

Try again and repost for us to see it when you have made the changes.  I think you have the basics of the letter down pretty good.

Message Edited by kidshelper on 07-24-2008 12:46 AM
Message 8 of 9
jandlynn
Established Member

Thank you for posting this. I have used it as a base for my own M.O.V. letter to Equifax and Experian.

My case is a bit different, but I would love to know if this was a successful strategy from those that used it.

My situation is that there was an erroneous default judgment entered against me. It was entered 3 years ago and I just found out about it a few months ago when it started appearing on my credit reports.

I have previously sent a certified copy of the affidavit from the court clerk that clearly states the judgment was entered in error as well as provided copies of the original receipt from the creditor clearly showing that there was no balance due at any time. I have asked via telephone how it was "verified" and they informed me that they sent someone down to the court house to physically inspect the judgment. That assertion is impossible because the clerk informed me that they don't have a record!

How has experian and Equifax not been sued for this behavior yet? I am closing on a new home eon the 31st (3 days from today). Luckily, the underwriter took my receipt and affidavit as proof the judgment was invalid, but it is still effecting my credit score and interest rates!

Any other advice is GREATLY appreciated.

//apologies for the necropost!

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.