cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please clarify how SOL and credit reporting work.

tag
danny4l
Frequent Contributor

Please clarify how SOL and credit reporting work.

I am still confused as to how the statute of limitations and credit reporting during and after this time works.

For example, if a debt is passed the SOL, does that mean it can no longer show up on your CR and that the debt is pretty much "gone.?"  For some reason, I cannot get a clear answer on this anywhere as some info is making me believe that after 7 years, the debt is "expired" and some places make it seem like the SOL means nothing.  I don't know which is true or how it all works.

Or does the SOL mean that they just can't sue you for the debt.

If it makes a difference I am talking about medical bills specifically.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Please clarify how SOL and credit reporting work.

@danny4l wrote:

I am still confused as to how the statute of limitations and credit reporting during and after this time works.

For example, if a debt is passed the SOL, does that mean it can no longer show up on your CR and that the debt is pretty much "gone.?"  For some reason, I cannot get a clear answer on this anywhere as some info is making me believe that after 7 years, the debt is "expired" and some places make it seem like the SOL means nothing.  I don't know which is true or how it all works.

Or does the SOL mean that they just can't sue you for the debt.

If it makes a difference I am talking about medical bills specifically.

The term SOL as used on this site refers to your states SOL, this is the deadline for legal actions on a past due debt, its timed from the DoFD of the OCs account that leads to the CO. The SOL has nothing to do with the amount of time that it can spend on your CR, that is set by law in the FCRA and its 7.5 years from the DoFD of the OC. Now just because a debt is past your states SOL doesnt mean that they cant sue some JDBs do as a scare tactic and hope you dont know the law. If you are sued past the SOL it is up to you to assert the SOL as your defense and then the case is auto dismissed. There is no difference for medical bills as far as time allowed to report on ones CR, there may be special laws in a few states that set their own medical SOL but if not specifically stated in SOL then medical bills follow statutes for written contracts. For medical CAs I suggest you Google the HIPAA Process and contact its creator for help we cannot discuss it on this board in detail. Good luck Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 5
danny4l
Frequent Contributor

So after 7.5 years, a medical debt cannot appear on your credit report?

Message 3 of 5
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@danny4l wrote:

Thats right, any negative debt that has a DoFD of Jan 2007 or older can no longer be reported on ones CR.

Message 4 of 5
danny4l
Frequent Contributor

@gdale6 wrote:

@danny4l wrote:

Thats right, any negative debt that has a DoFD of Jan 2007 or older can no longer be reported on ones CR.

Thanks gdale,

6 down for me, 1.5 to go!

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.