Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please critique my GW Letter.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Please critique my GW Letter.

Can a credit card company remove an accurate 30 day late mark if they want to?

Please critique my GW letter below:

Dear Sir or Madam,

am writing to you today regarding my credit card account #xxx. The purpose of my correspondence is to see if you would be willing to make a "goodwill" adjustment on the reporting of this account to the three credit agencies.

have been a loyal customer since May of 2007 and have been very happy with the service. In the two years as a customer, I have been diligent in paying my bill on time. Unfortunately, in September of 2008 my region was severely impacted due to Hurricane Ike. As a result of the storm my wife and I took in refugees during the extended power outages throughout our area. As a result of providing food and shelter to neighbors and friends, we were forced to make adjustments to our budget and subsequently reduced our payment to First National to $15.00 in the month of October and November. Even though money was tight, and we were struggling with the situation, we still made regular payments to First National.

My wife and I have recently been informed that we no longer qualify for a home that we are having built due to the 30 day late on our credit reports in January.

I know that payment was my responsibility and I am not attempting to justify this breach of my user agreement, I was however hoping you might review the circumstances under which this underpayment occurred and consider removing the negative mark associated with this account from my three credit reports.

As soon as I became aware of the balance I contacted First National and paid the balance in full. I provide this not to justify why the account was under paid, but rather to show that the issue with First National is not a good indicator of my actual credit worthiness. I hope that First National is willing to work with me on erasing this mark from my credit reports.

I would like to STRESS that the information currently being reported IS accurate, (I am not disputing anything with First National I am simply asking First National for a courtesy gesture of goodwill in having the credit bureaus remove this negative mark from my report. I do recognize that this request is unique and that it may not be First National’s normal policy to remove a negative mark.

Your kind consideration in this matter is greatly appreciated.

Best Regards

Message Edited by creditgotmedown on 04-16-2009 08:03 PM
Message Edited by creditgotmedown on 04-16-2009 08:03 PM
Message Edited by creditgotmedown on 04-16-2009 08:04 PM
Message Edited by creditgotmedown on 04-18-2009 06:54 AM
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
nothingman02
Valued Contributor

Re: Removing Accurate Information

Yep they can. Dont ask how though.
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Now I have to know, how? Smiley Happy

Message Edited by creditgotmedown on 04-16-2009 08:06 PM
Message 3 of 7
nothingman02
Valued Contributor

I dont know! Smiley Happy
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

FCRA states that they must report accurately, not that they must report.

Technically, to change a 30 day late to "Ok" would be a violation of FCRA.

To not report payment status for the month of the late would not be a violation of FCRA.

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Please critique my GW Letter.

Any thoughts on the letter?
Message 6 of 7
nothingman02
Valued Contributor

Re: Please critique my GW Letter.

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/fico/board/message?board.id=generalcredit&message.id=5933

Edited to activate link.

Message Edited by sidewinder on 04-18-2009 09:22 AM
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.