Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

**Please help! What next?**

tag
RW771
Frequent Contributor

**Please help! What next?**

OK so to make a long story short, I've been trying to remove the last remaining PAID collection off of my CR. This has been PIF since 2008. I have sent GW after GW and nothing, so decided to go the HIPPA route.

I sent the 1st certified letter to the CA on 11/7/12 basically demanding them to verify this as being my account and to provide proof from the OC of the debt. A few days later I received a very generic letter that simply just had the date of service, the name of the patient (my son), the name of the OC and showing a $0 balance. This was a simple hand typed letter with no original documents, something anyone could have typed up.

I then decided to just file a complaint with the BBB, hoping this would be the end of the line. I just received a response back from the BBB, in which the CA's response was:

"We received your original request 11-8-12. The law gives us 30 days for our investigation. Your itemized statement was mailed to you at (address) on 12-3-12. This will remain on your credit reports as paid in full."

I haven't received the "itemized statement" from them yet, but know the OC is no longer in business and hasn't been in years, so I'm curious to see what this CA has come up with this time. What do I do from here? Do I continue with the next step in the HIPAA process? I don't want to give up at this point, but feel I can do something, surely, to get them to remove this, I just don't know the correct steps/process to follow.

Can someone pleeeease help me? I'd really appreciate it and would be extremely greatful to have this dang thing removed from my CR's...never thought a 4 year old collection (and the ONLY collection on my EX & TU) still be affecting me as it has Smiley Sad

05/31/2013 672 EQ (Fico), 03/08/2012 697 TU (Fico)

Closed on my first home 12/07/11! Officially a homeowner, thanks to this forum!!!

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
annielorie
Valued Contributor

Re: **Please help! What next?**

Is this the oc that is reporting it as paid

Starting Score: 0
Current Score: TR??FICOEQ ?? FICO
Goal Score: 760

Lowes7,000 Discover More 2800. Jcpenny 6,000
Chase freedom 800 Never take NO for an answer!!
Message 2 of 8
jandj80
Regular Contributor

Can you follow up with the better business bureau and tell them that they did not adequately provide proof of the debt? Say that you cannot reach the original creditor, and that you do not recall owing them money. A typed up generic letter from the CA does not prove anything. If that were the case, this CA could type up bills for anybody and say they came from an out-of-business company. It wouldn't hurt to try rebutting with that arguement, if you can do that with the BBB. 

Starting Score: EQ 416 TU 498 EX 468 Lender Fico's July 2012
Current Score: EQ 674 TU 679 Ex 686 EX
Goal Score: For now: 640s

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 8
RW771
Frequent Contributor

@annielorie wrote:

Is this the oc that is reporting it as paid

Nope it's the CA. The OC is no longer in business and never reported it to the CB's, only the CA has.

Closed on my first home 12/07/11! Officially a homeowner, thanks to this forum!!!

Message 4 of 8
RW771
Frequent Contributor

@jandj80 wrote:

Can you follow up with the better business bureau and tell them that they did not adequately provide proof of the debt? Say that you cannot reach the original creditor, and that you do not recall owing them money. A typed up generic letter from the CA does not prove anything. If that were the case, this CA could type up bills for anybody and say they came from an out-of-business company. It wouldn't hurt to try rebutting with that arguement, if you can do that with the BBB. 

I think that's what I'm planning on doing next after I receive whatever they sent me this week because I'm pretty sure it still doesn't meet the criteria they are required to provide. I think the thing that's most confusing about this whole thing is the fact that it IS paid. Most people dispute when there's a balance still owed, but this one has a $0 balance.

Message 5 of 8
annielorie
Valued Contributor

Chances are if it has zero balance and OC is out of business CA is out of luck they cant verify a debt with a company that no longer exists. If BBB doesnt work send letter to CA with a demand for the people and company used to verify account. They will then delete

Starting Score: 0
Current Score: TR??FICOEQ ?? FICO
Goal Score: 760

Lowes7,000 Discover More 2800. Jcpenny 6,000
Chase freedom 800 Never take NO for an answer!!
Message 6 of 8
madmann26
Valued Contributor

I think I'd ask them to provide proof they are authorized to have my HIPPA, protected personal information.

Current FICO 9 Scores

Message 7 of 8
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Did you try a GW at any point?  

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.