Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please help a Newbie

tag
MsLayo34
Valued Member

Please help a Newbie

I have been lurking around for a couple of years and FINALLY decided to make that first step and post. I work as a Utilization Reviewer/ Social Worker in a hospital and have a credit score in the mid- 500's.. Although, I know I want to repair my credit I just don't know where to begin. I opened up 4 credit cards (Discover, Capital One, Macy's and Citi Bank) during my sophomore year of college. Unfortunately, my finances were extremely tight and paying a credit card bill was the last thing on my mind. and didn't have. I am almost 26 years old and would like to purchase a home in the next few years. I would appreciate if you all can hive me pointers on where to begin.

Here is what is currently showing on my Experian Credit Report:

Accounts:

Capital One -
Date opened: 1/1/08
DOFD: ?? Late 2008 or 2009
$1,110 - Original CL = $500
Charge off - This account is also reporting as a Judgment on my CR

Citibank (Purchased by Midland Funding CA)

Discover -
DOFD: ??? Late 2008 or 2009
$1,088 - Original CL $500
Charge Off

Macy's
Date opened: 01/01/208
DOFD: 03/2010
$226 - Original CL $500
Charge Off

Car Loan via Credit Union for 2014 Honda Accord EX-L
Date Opened: 07/24/2014
Original Loan Amount: 15,030
Amount left to pay: $14,000
Paid on time - No Lates

US Dept of Ed
Date Opened: 05/01/2010
Loan Amount: $646.00
Closed, PIF, No lates

U.S. Dept of Ed
Payment Status: Unknown, reporting Loan was tx to another office
( I only had one student loan, per CR repayment began in May of 2010. I don't believe this should be out CR. Why is this reporting twice with different account number)

Collections:
EOS AT&T Mobility
Date opened: 8/1/2012
Amount $121

Midland Funding (Citi bank account)
Date opened: 01/01/2008
$1652, Original CL $1,000
I found out today that Midland Funding was granted a default judgment against me for this debt in 10/2013. This judgment is not showing up on my CR. Apparently my mother signed for the paperwork and did not give them to me. I was not aware of the court date etc. I went to the court house today and Midland Funding out in an order to garnish my wages. I was aware of that court date but was unable to make it due to having open heart surgery. Am I stuck with paying the CA $1600?? How should I handle this?

Judgments:
Capital One
West Hartford CT small Claims court
Date Filed: 08/2010
This was a default judgment as the papers were sent to my College Mailbox in CT rather than my home address on RI where all of my bills were going.

I apologize for such a long post but I wanted to provide as much information as possible. Thank you in advance!!!
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
MsLayo34
Valued Member

Re: Please help a Newbie

Any Help?
Message 2 of 5
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@MsLayo34 wrote:
I have been lurking around for a couple of years and FINALLY decided to make that first step and post. I work as a Utilization Reviewer/ Social Worker in a hospital and have a credit score in the mid- 500's.. Although, I know I want to repair my credit I just don't know where to begin. I opened up 4 credit cards (Discover, Capital One, Macy's and Citi Bank) during my sophomore year of college. Unfortunately, my finances were extremely tight and paying a credit card bill was the last thing on my mind. and didn't have. I am almost 26 years old and would like to purchase a home in the next few years. I would appreciate if you all can hive me pointers on where to begin.

Accounts:

Capital One -
Charge off - This account is also reporting as a Judgment on my CR, Once the judgment has been satisfied start GW Letter campaign to Cap-1 EO.

Citibank (Purchased by Midland Funding CA) GW letters to Citi EO.

Discover -
Charge Off  See if you can get a PFD on this one

Macy's
$226 - Original CL $500
Charge Off, See if you can get a PFD from Macys on this one

Collections:
EOS AT&T Mobility  Call ATT ask them to recall the CA and then pay them off.
Amount $121

I found out today that Midland Funding was granted a default judgment against me for this debt in 10/2013. This judgment is not showing up on my CR. Apparently my mother signed for the paperwork and did not give them to me. I was not aware of the court date etc. I went to the court house today and Midland Funding out in an order to garnish my wages. I was aware of that court date but was unable to make it due to having open heart surgery. Am I stuck with paying the CA $1600?? How should I handle this? Yes, you are going to have to pay it since they hold a judgment. Settle this with the current judgment holder, try to get them to vacate it once its been paid, if they wont do it see if this is allowed in your state and file the motion yourself to vacate on grounds its been paid, if this gets done its off your CRs as if the judgment never happened.

Judgments:
Capital One
This was a default judgment as the papers were sent to my College Mailbox in CT rather than my home address on RI where all of my bills were going. Settle this with the current judgment holder, try to get them to vacate it once its been paid, if they wont do it see if this is allowed in your state and file the motion yourself to vacate on grounds its been paid, if this gets done its off your CRs as if the judgment never happened.

I apologize for such a long post but I wanted to provide as much information as possible. Thank you in advance!!!

I would also look up your states SOL to see if any of those OCs can still sue you, if its outside the SOL then go ahead and contact as I have indicated, if they can still sue then you dont contact them unless you have the funds to PIF.. Welcome to MF Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MsLayo34 wrote:

Accounts:

Capital One -
Charge off - This account is also reporting as a Judgment on my CR

Citibank (Purchased by Midland Funding CA)

Discover -
Charge Off          If it has not gone to collections, make a deal to pay it off. Its a double hit on your report if it goes to collection.

Macy's
$226 - Original CL $500
Charge Off           Same as above.

Car Loan via Credit Union for 2014 Honda Accord EX-L
Date Opened: 07/24/2014
Original Loan Amount: 15,030
Amount left to pay: $14,000
Paid on time - No Lates

US Dept of Ed
Closed, PIF, No lates

U.S. Dept of Ed
Payment Status: Unknown, reporting Loan was tx to another office     I wouldn't woryy about it, its not a derogatory
( I only had one student loan, per CR repayment began in May of 2010. I don't believe this should be out CR. Why is this reporting twice with different account number)

Collections:
EOS AT&T Mobility
Amount $121       Try to negotiate a pay for delete.

I found out today that Midland Funding was granted a default judgment against me for this debt in 10/2013. This judgment is not showing up on my CR. Apparently my mother signed for the paperwork and did not give them to me. I was not aware of the court date etc. I went to the court house today and Midland Funding out in an order to garnish my wages. I was aware of that court date but was unable to make it due to having open heart surgery. Am I stuck with paying the CA $1600?? How should I handle this?  Might be stuck with it. Hard to say at this point.

Judgments:
Capital One
This was a default judgment as the papers were sent to my College Mailbox in CT rather than my home address on RI where all of my bills were going.

Regarding the two Judgements - research the service requirements in both RI and CT. You might be able to successfully argue that the CT small claims court has no jurisdiction if you were residing in RI. Problem is that four years have passed... But with Midland, it MIGHT not have been legal to serve your mother the papers. You need to research service requirements. Many states require personal service in a civil case, not just to any slob that answers the door at an old address. Consult an attorney. If they did not do proper service thats grounds for vacating the judgement. In any case, ask the court to delay the garnishment - being in surgery is certainly an extenuating circumstance. for at least a couple weeks while you do your research.

If vacating the judgement can't be done, contact midland to make immediate payment arrangements and stick to them. 

Message 4 of 5
MsLayo34
Valued Member

Thank you so much for your replies. Apparently in RI - a constable can serve any adult in the residence even if they are not named as a defendant. It appears that I can't use "improper" service to vacate the judgment. Should I contact Midland and see if they will settle and vacate the judgment? I believe there is a motion to attach my wages but I am currently on a leave of absence. As far as the CT judgment. I'm not sure if CT had jurisdiction since I am a resident of RI. I did find out that Howard Lee & Schwieff (Capital One attorney) has offices in RI. Should I motion to have the judgement vacated in CT and then settle with their lawyers for a PFD? Does anyone have the contact information for Discover and Macy's - Please PM me with that information. Also, is it too late for me to send a DV to EOS? I don't remember them sending me any dunning notices. Or should I skipthe DV and contact them for a settle and PFD?
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.