Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please help me help my daughter

tag
thankfulheart
Established Contributor

Please help me help my daughter

I've worked at my credit for a year and have learned so much; now my daughter is asking for help. She is 24yo and is looking at 2 collections accounts (both PIF) and 2 COs (neither is paid).  I know the collections should be GWed, but I'm unsure about the COs.  One of them is something she knows nothing about (closed a CU checking account, thought it had a $0 balance until now), the other is a bank she doesn't want to jeapordize a future relationship with (USAA). She knows she owes that one, but was unsuccessful in her earlier attempts at getting statements/records.  She has moved around quite a bit with school/jobs, so chances are the mail just missed her, plus she was 19 at the time, so self-admittedly "young and foolish". 

The PFD letter template I read here seemed a bit harsh with the "I have no idea what this is about" tone, esp when she DOES know about the USAA one.  Should she still use that language/approach or should I soften it up for her?

I did have her join NFCU (I'm a member as is my Dad), so we are hoping to rebuild her credit through them, but it would be nice to get these uglies off first. 

Starting Score: 10/1/2011 EQ 568 TU 593
Current Score: EQ 664 TU 700 EX 701 (FAKO)

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
madmann26
Valued Contributor

Re: Please help me help my daughter

For thebanks, I would have her just call them up, explain the situation and see what can be done to make good on the CO's. Have the CO's shown up with a CA? If the CA has them now, they would be the ones responsible for collecting any monies.

Current FICO 9 Scores

Message 2 of 3
IOBA
Senior Contributor

Re: Please help me help my daughter

USAA has a long memory....  your daughter can call them up, explain that she wants to make amends, but is confused about how the account came to be charged off, and ask for supporting documents.   

The other charge off - she probably needs to get more information/supporting documents.  Anything she does to accomplish that needs to have a disclaimer saying she does not acknowledge the debt as hers at this time, but needs more information to understand where the bank is coming from.

GW the two collections.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.