Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please help me with Asset Acceptance

tag
reno55
Regular Contributor

Please help me with Asset Acceptance

I am getting ready to send off 3 complaints to the AG of Michigan now that I have quite a paper trail on these guys. The question I have is I noticed every time TU has received a dispute from me on these TL's Asset increases the amount by $5-$10. I know this is a MAJOR violation but can someone help me point out maybe in specific which statute it applies to? To summarize...everytime TU shows new information below the tradeline is increased by exactly $5-$10 and is usually some random amount in between.
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
valley_man0505
Established Contributor

Re: Please help me with Asset Acceptance

Reno, they may be adding interest and this interest is only showing up each time they update.  Like it or not, CA's can continue to charge interest.  I know they can do this on accounts that originally had interest, anyway (CC's, loans, etc.), but, as far as I know, they can't add interest to an account such as a utility bill (although they may be able to continue adding late fees).  I could be wrong on this, however, so don't take my word for it.

I have been surprised by the number of posts I have seen about people having trouble with Asset Acceptance.  They had a couple accounts for me, which I disputed with the CRB's, and they were all dropped on all 3 CR's after my first dispute attempt. Yes, I am knocking on wood right now--I am waiting for the day that all of the deletions I have achieved in the past couple of months start reappearing.
Message 2 of 10
reno55
Regular Contributor

Well they are also continuing to report as a factoring company.
Message 3 of 10
jbh
Established Contributor

Valley_Man>>If I may (Sorry if this is hijacking) ask, did your dispute with Asset's accounts have to do with legit accounts or something erroneous? Thanks. I have to deal with them and I wonder if it could just be so simple as clicking my heals and inquiring with the credit reporting agencies Smiley Wink
Message 4 of 10
valley_man0505
Established Contributor

The original accounts were legitimate, but I have no idea if they were the legitimate owners of the accounts.  I had quite a few collections from about 5 years ago (due to reasons outside my control) and many of these accounts had bounced from CA to CA.  As a result, there were occasions on my CR's where the same accounts ended up showing up in various places under different CA's.  I finally made an effort to get my report cleaned up, so I disputed many of my collections so that I could weed out the ones that no longer had any business on my CR (if they ever did in the first place).  After my first round of disputes, Asset Acceptance was gone. 
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

bump to mods
Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Never disput accurate accounts!     Know your SOL!!    If not past SOL the creditor (OC or CA) can file a lawsuit!!!

What type of accounts are these & what is the DOFD/DOLA  and SOL?

Is the OC reporting along with the CA?
Message 7 of 10
JHill

If you believe they are doing something illegal, I wouldn't be surprised if that were true. They are notorious for disregarding FCRA rules. I filed a complaint with them with the FTC for reporting a collection as an open/120+ late account. The FTC actually contacted me and asked for all my docementation about them....would you be surprised to know that shortly after this Asset Acceptance contacted me? I had been trying to get them to respond to multiple letters and inquiries about reporting inaccurate info. and had no luck. What an odd coincidence that I hear from them after the FTC complaint. They also reported the account as collection rather than open. You really have to be aggressive in your approach with them or they'll just keep stringing you along.

Class act over there.

Let me know if you have any luck with them...I have been unsuccessful thus far.

Message 8 of 10
reno55
Regular Contributor

Have they deleted JHill?
Message 9 of 10
JHill

Not yet. They are like fleas...hard to get rid of. I did, however, get even with CMI! Another of my favorites. That'll be in another post though.
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.