Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please help me with this collection account

tag
Chezy1025
Regular Contributor

Please help me with this collection account

I joined this site last month and since then I have been able to eliminate every baddie from my credit report, but this one. I haven't contacted the collection agency or the school as of yet. In 2008 I dropped all of my classes before the semester began, but the college still wants full tuition which is nearly $2,000. This is what is showing on my report for it -

Security Credit System

Balance $1,983

Date Opened 8-9-2010

Account Type - Collection

Last Reported - 5/2014

There is also a phone number and account number. I don't understand how it was opened in 2010 and is expected to fall off in 2017, when the original account should date 2008. I would like this collection to be fully removed, I know that may be a long shot. I don't feel financially responsible for the total amount after I dropped all classes before they began. There is no way for me to prove that I dropped them before they started other than if the college confirmed. How should I go about clearing this situation up? Any help would be great!

Last HP 03-24-2016 Gardening until I pre-qual for CSP or Venture

Starting Score: 485 06-20-14
Current Score: 685 04-03-16
Goal Score: 700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
kjel
Established Contributor

Re: Please help me with this collection account

@Chezy1025 wrote:

I joined this site last month and since then I have been able to eliminate every baddie from my credit report, but this one. I haven't contacted the collection agency or the school as of yet. In 2008 I dropped all of my classes before the semester began, but the college still wants full tuition which is nearly $2,000. This is what is showing on my report for it -

Security Credit System

Balance $1,983

Date Opened 8-9-2010

Account Type - Collection

Last Reported - 5/2014

There is also a phone number and account number. I don't understand how it was opened in 2010 and is expected to fall off in 2017, when the original account should date 2008. I would like this collection to be fully removed, I know that may be a long shot. I don't feel financially responsible for the total amount after I dropped all classes before they began. There is no way for me to prove that I dropped them before they started other than if the college confirmed. How should I go about clearing this situation up? Any help would be great!

It likely depends on what the drop policy of the institution was at the time of your enrollment. Before contacting the CA, I'd stop by or call the university and speak to someone about it. There is generally a transaction record of adding/dropping class and unenrolling from an institution if you followed the proper process and most universities maintain a long history of your student account records. If you can figure that part out it will determine whether or not you actually owe anything and if you do, see if you can get the debt recalled from the CA and pay them directly.

Current Score: TU: 674 | EQ: 722 | EX: 717 | Last Inq. 2/16/15...Locked Up in The Garden
NFCU Cash Rewards $14K | Chase Sapphire Preferred $5K | Amex Blue Cash Preferred $6K | Cap1 Quicksilver One Visa $9K

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.