Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please help, question about Midland

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Please help, question about Midland

HI all,

I have a quick question.  I recently checked my Equifax score and noticed there is a ding on there from a Midland Collection agency.  It states I owe them 2500 and I had a late payment in 2009.  I couldn't figure out what this was for, since I have not had any credit problems since 2004 and am waiting for the last thing to fall off in May - a Capitol One Bill for $500.  This is the only thing I can imagine it is for, since I do not have any other charge offs or collections.  However, the DOLA on the Capitol One bill is May 2004.

Please advise me what to do.  I do not think Midland is allowed to collect in my state (Hawaii) since I have never received any notifications or correspondence from them.  And I certainly haven't made any payment to them ever let alone missed a payment in 2009.

Obviously I am upset about this as my credit was getting close to 700.  This ding has dropped my credit score to 590!!!! Smiley Sad  

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Please help, question about Midland

@Anonymous wrote:

HI all,

I have a quick question.  I recently checked my Equifax score and noticed there is a ding on there from a Midland Collection agency.  It states I owe them 2500 and I had a late payment in 2009.  I couldn't figure out what this was for, since I have not had any credit problems since 2004 and am waiting for the last thing to fall off in May - a Capitol One Bill for $500.  This is the only thing I can imagine it is for, since I do not have any other charge offs or collections.  However, the DOLA on the Capitol One bill is May 2004.

Please advise me what to do.  I do not think Midland is allowed to collect in my state (Hawaii) since I have never received any notifications or correspondence from them.  And I certainly haven't made any payment to them ever let alone missed a payment in 2009.

Obviously I am upset about this as my credit was getting close to 700.  This ding has dropped my credit score to 590!!!! Smiley Sad  

Hi Anniemay,

Putting this in your report is an allowable "initial contact" and by law they have 5 days to send you a dunning letter. If you have enough information about them from your report go ahead and send them a DV letter now without waiting for the dunning notice.

Be aware though that no CA (unless you live in Texas) has a time limit tp respond to your DV but they have to stop collection activity until they do.

Another thing. Do you know the DoFD (Date of First Delinquency) on that Cap 1 account? That is the applicable date as to how long this can report. The DoLA doesn't mean anything.

I don't know though if they can collect in Hawaii or not.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 3/11 pulled by lender- 835, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 2 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

This is a shady debt collector practice, hoping to put payment pressure on the uninformed by posting a collection to your CR, with the hope that you dont know about collection (dunning) notices, and your rights to DV.  Believe it or not, some will just pay to get it off their CR, without dealing with them.

I would DV them immediately, and insert  a separate paragrraph informaing them that they are in non-compliance with FDCPA 809(a), and have been negatively impacting your credit score without affording you the early opportunity to address their reporting by their failure to provide notice to you.

Message 3 of 5
tjc
Established Member

I sent a DOLD letter to midland last month.  Within days they replyed that they were removing it from my report, however it hasnt fallen off yet.

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the help.  The DOLA for the Capitol One should be May 2004 so I'm thinking it should be coming off in the next few weeks.  I will try to send Midland a DV letter immediately.  I appreciate the feedback.  I'll let you guys know what happens!!

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.