cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please help with ? Re: charged off CC

tag
SDB74

Please help with ? Re: charged off CC

After a valain't fight my credit card with my local Credit Union was charged off. After the Chargeoff I noticed the deficiency was added to my auto loan with the same credit union even though it was a seperate account. Legal? Doesn't sound right, never heard of such in all my years of finance and management.

Message 3 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
SDB74

Someone please help with Credit Union CC Chargeoff ?

I recently fell behind on all my debts after a valiant fight. I had a credit card and an auto loan with my local credit union which were 2 seperate accounts. After the credit card was charged off, a few months later I noticed the deficiency was added to my auto loan which was a totally seperate debt. Is this possible? Legal?

Thanils for any and all advice! 

Message 1 of 8
longtime_lurker
Valued Contributor

Re: Someone please help with Credit Union CC Chargeoff ?

@SDB74 wrote:

I recently fell behind on all my debts after a valiant fight. I had a credit card and an auto loan with my local credit union which were 2 seperate accounts. After the credit card was charged off, a few months later I noticed the deficiency was added to my auto loan which was a totally seperate debt. Is this possible? Legal?

Thanils for any and all advice! 

IIRC, many CU's (mine included) state that if you are in default with one account, you are in default with all of their accounts. Also, they can use the money in your account (a.k.a shares -Checking, etc.) to pay off the defaulted loan. So I think it's legal

Current cards: MSUFCU Platinum, Amex PRG, Amex Surpass, Amex BCE, Citi Prestige, Citi Double Cash, Citi Premier, US Bank Cash +, Huntington Voice, AAviator, Sallie Mae, Discover IT, Chase Freedom TU:753 EQ Enhanced: 758
Message 2 of 8
longtime_lurker
Valued Contributor

Re: Please help with ? Re: charged off CC

11.  General Pledge of Shares:  I pledge my shares and deposits in the Credit Union as security for every advance under this Agreement. In case I default, you may apply these shares and deposits to the payment of all sums due at the time of default, including costs of collection and reasonable attorney’s fees. However, I retain full access to any and all shares on deposit not specifically pledged as collateral. No lien or right to impress a lien on shares and deposits shall apply to any of my shares which may be held in an “Individual Retirement Account” (IRA).

This is the clause of your loan that you need to look for in your loan documents.

This IS legal, I worked at MSUFCU.

Just showing you where the info is

Current cards: MSUFCU Platinum, Amex PRG, Amex Surpass, Amex BCE, Citi Prestige, Citi Double Cash, Citi Premier, US Bank Cash +, Huntington Voice, AAviator, Sallie Mae, Discover IT, Chase Freedom TU:753 EQ Enhanced: 758
Message 4 of 8
RushXTC
Established Contributor

@SDB74 wrote:

After a valain't fight my credit card with my local Credit Union was charged off. After the Chargeoff I noticed the deficiency was added to my auto loan with the same credit union even though it was a seperate account. Legal? Doesn't sound right, never heard of such in all my years of finance and management.

Mod Cut for an unnecessary remark.

There's already a reply in your first thread.

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Someone-please-help-with-Credit-Union-CC-Chargeoff/td-p...

Message 5 of 8
SDB74

I'm sorry about double posts. I tried to delete and I'm obviously new. Thanks for the replies.
Mods please delete duplicate thread.
Message 6 of 8
longtime_lurker
Valued Contributor

@SDB74 wrote:
I'm sorry about double posts. I tried to delete and I'm obviously new. Thanks for the replies.
Mods please delete duplicate thread.

No worries, best of luck to you!

Just a heads up, the rebuilding thread may be more useful on tips on moving on from here...I will say that CU's are usually much more understanding of situations and if you can get current you can probably at least GW the baddies off the other loan.

Message 7 of 8
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Someone please help with Credit Union CC Chargeoff ?

Yes I would also say its legal, if your are current with the auto loan they are going to make you pay the CC balance in that loan before they hand over the pink slip, thisis why I never have a cc and an auto loan at the same CU.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.