Did you mean: 

Point of departure...

tag
rckstrscott
Valued Contributor

Re: Point of departure...

@Benmcc wrote:

Thanks for the encouragement.

I feel sorta like an addict hitting refresh after every payment or so but I feel better knowing its not just me.

It sure isn't you. It is everyone.. I mean, after a while you will relax a LITTLE bit, but not really--

Being armed with the knowledge of how your credit score works is a wonderful thing, but it can be an albatross too, because people start fretting over 1 pt yer, 10 pts there ect, instead of living their life..

-scott

Starting FICO Score: October 2010: TU 498 | EQ: 502
Current FICO Scores:: May 2022: TU: 784 | EQ: 770 | EX: 790
Message 11 of 15
Eberron
Established Member

If you haven't yet pull all three of your free credit reports from www.annualcreditreport.com then you will have all of your account numbers. What was easiest for me is to do an excel document so you can start compareing things. You want to make sure you dont have the same collection reporting several times. Then arrange things newest to oldest. Getting organized can really help keep you focused its a long road to credit happiness.

Anything that is just sitting on your report that says paid next to it I would gw them. Getting them removed can only positively impact your score.

Then I would figure out who you need to send pfd's too. Don't agree to pay something unless you get something inreturn stating they will delete it after you pay it. This will make your life much much easier. Otherwise you will end up paying things and then have to go back and gw them after they finally decide to report it as paid which could be waiting 45 days..... its a pain I made this mistake. 

Then look at what you can afford to take care of right now. Call them oc and see if you can pay them directly this will get the CA to go away if there is one on your report. 

This is where I would start. Good Luck and I hope this helps. 

Starting Score: 533
Current Score: 650
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 12 of 15
Benmcc
Established Member

@Eberron wrote:

What was easiest for me is to do an excel document so you can start compareing things. You want to make sure you dont have the same collection reporting several times. Then arrange things newest to oldest. Getting organized can really help keep you focused its a long road to credit happiness.

LOVED THIS!!!

I used Excel to figure out my AAoA.  I am going to go a bit further to add in the things that you spoke about.

Excel is wonderful isn't it?

Starting Score (2MAY12): TU-532, EQ-545
Current Score: TU-532, EQ-546
Goal Score: 700+

Message 13 of 15
Benmcc
Established Member

Weekly Update:

601 (EQ) and 591 (TU) - USAA's CMS FAKOS

Seems my EQ went back up (although not as high as it was). i am anxious for next week's FICO pull.

In other news, 4 late payments from Direct loans were removed.  I dont know how much impact they were having on my score, but good to see baddies say bye bye.

Also, The forums have said that NFCUs secured product is really good so I am going in that direction now.

Message 14 of 15
Benmcc
Established Member

I was on travel this weekend so I didn't update as usual. Very modest gains for my first FICO update. Would be lying if I said I wasn't dissappinted, but this is a lesson in expectation management (I guess, if a month was to make that much difference, it wouldn't be nearly as satisfying). The scores are:

FICO (8 Jun) -

EQ: 549 (+4 since 2 May)

TU: 536 (+4 since  2 May)

Compared to USAA FAKOs (pulled simultaneously)-

EX: 562

EQ: 582

TU: 584

Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.