Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor spending habits + LOADS of CCs = low scores

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Poor spending habits + LOADS of CCs = low scores

So here's the deal. I'm in my early 30s, married with 1 child. My spouse and I gross approximately $120k/year and I am up for a promotion that could bump that up by 10k. I'm a web professional and my spouse is an auto tech. We are swimming in debt and I want to wipe out ALL debt except for our mortgage. 

I recently started taking steps in the right direction. Here is our debt breakdown:

$240k mortgage
$23k across 2 car loans
$37k across 11 credit cards (all maxed). 

- I closed ALL of our credit cards except the two with the highest limit ($20k + $8k) because I want to keep those for future use once they're paid off (one is an Amex tied to Costco, the other is with our Credit Union) - I know my spending habits and wanted to ensure I wouldn't touch those cards ever again, so I closed them.

- I signed up (like an idiot) with DebtWave (CC Counseling Company) but just cancelled their service after 3 months yesterday to take this on myself.
$58k in student loans (a total of I think 12 small loans)

I tried to apply for consolidation loans ($10k to knock out the debt for the 9 cards I closed) through Avant, Upstart, Prosper and Lending Club and got denied for ALL of them. (Our scores are low-mid 600s)
We have ONE collection from 2009 that was paid off like 5 years ago. Beyond that no negatives except a mistake on Amazon Store Card's part of marking us as 60+ days late one time. 

Any suggestions on a lender that might actually help us? The reason for denial is always just because of our utilization but THAT IS THE PURPOSE OF THE LOAN! To just drop all of that debt onto ONE payment so we can focus ALL efforts on paying off the ONE loan instead of 11 cards. So obnoxious. 

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
newmomnewme
Valued Contributor

Re: Poor spending habits + LOADS of CCs = low scores

You are not alone. I was thinking of consolidating as well...I am in school now and was hoping to use any refund to pay down some of mine (one of the cards was used to pre-pay tuition).  My company was in the middle of a merger and we were supposed to get huge  bonuses; no such luck.  Smiley Sad  Since then, I have been hoping a bonus would come through and save me or at least give me room to breathe.  I won't even attempt a personal loan application after seeing your list of denials. 

Best of luck!!!  

012019 Fico8/Mortgage Score:
Current Fico9/Fico8/Mortgage Score:
MyGoal Fico8/Mortgage Score:
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Couple of thoughts...

if you havent been late on your mortgage and you have some equity, get a cash out loan, FHA will give you 85% cash out with a 620 score.

are you being tunred down for the personal for income?

Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you have a good relationship with your credit union then you could check with them for an unsecured loan if the second mortgage is unavailable.  Keep in mind that your goal is to get out of debt so maybe take some time and figure out a budget for yourself, something realistic that won't cause hardship but will get you to your goal in a timely manner.

Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

We JUST got our mortgage earlier this year, so there is no equity to tap into just yet. Believe me I would have done it if it were an option!

I don't get turned down because of income. Income is ~$120k/year. There's never been mention of DTI ratio or anything, it's always utilization. Our mix, history and everything else is great. It's all the damn utilization! We are presently living well within our means, it's just a matter of losing all of this money to the high interest rates. We COULD go one at a time and gradually pay each one off, but we are getting just wrecked with interest - that's why I'd prefer ONE loan we can just throw all excess funds into each month to pay this all down faster.

Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

The issue with our CU is that they ONLY offer $20k in unsecured debt, which we have with them already in the form of our credit card which is maxed. We goofed up and now we are just trying to pay off what debt we have accrued. It's silly because we make good money we just were irresponsible with how we spent it before we got our house.

Message 6 of 12
CH-7-Mission-Accomplished
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

So here's the deal. I'm in my early 30s, married with 1 child. My spouse and I gross approximately $120k/year and I am up for a promotion that could bump that up by 10k. I'm a web professional and my spouse is an auto tech. We are swimming in debt and I want to wipe out ALL debt except for our mortgage. 

I recently started taking steps in the right direction. Here is our debt breakdown:

$240k mortgage
$23k across 2 car loans
$37k across 11 credit cards (all maxed). 

- I closed ALL of our credit cards except the two with the highest limit ($20k + $8k) because I want to keep those for future use once they're paid off (one is an Amex tied to Costco, the other is with our Credit Union) - I know my spending habits and wanted to ensure I wouldn't touch those cards ever again, so I closed them.

- I signed up (like an idiot) with DebtWave (CC Counseling Company) but just cancelled their service after 3 months yesterday to take this on myself.
$58k in student loans (a total of I think 12 small loans)

I tried to apply for consolidation loans ($10k to knock out the debt for the 9 cards I closed) through Avant, Upstart, Prosper and Lending Club and got denied for ALL of them. (Our scores are low-mid 600s)
We have ONE collection from 2009 that was paid off like 5 years ago. Beyond that no negatives except a mistake on Amazon Store Card's part of marking us as 60+ days late one time. 

Any suggestions on a lender that might actually help us? The reason for denial is always just because of our utilization but THAT IS THE PURPOSE OF THE LOAN! To just drop all of that debt onto ONE payment so we can focus ALL efforts on paying off the ONE loan instead of 11 cards. So obnoxious. 

If you were getting turned down due to high utilization, you just shot yourself in the foot by closing all those credit cards.  That instantly made your utilization go WAY UP since the available credit limits went down (assuming the nine accounts weren't like $200 Comenity cards).

As the other poster mentioned, a mortgage refinance might work.  Otherwise, you have already got your answer from all those denials.  Not point lowering your scores even further by getting more inquiries.

You just need to pay off that credit card debt.  The best way from a practical point is to pay down the highest rate card first, the second highest rate second, and on down the line.  A lot of people use the snowball method whereby you pay off the lowest balance card first, then take that payment amount and add it to the payment on the next to lowest amount, continuing until all accounts are paid off.

You should also call and ask for an interest rate reduction on your two open accounts.  You aren't likely to get one from your closed accounts.\

You are the classic example of people doing what sounds like the logical correct thing to do, but from a FICO score perspective and having the ability to refinance the debt, you really complicate the matter.

Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah I know we shot oursevles in the foot by closing them but it's too late to change our minds on that. We don't NEED good credit right now since we aren't attempting to open any new lines of credit, we are settled in and doing well with everything so now is just the time to start reestablishing and building really great credit again. The 9 cards all varied from $600-1800 limits.

Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Guess we will just keep working on paying them off one by one! Thanks for the input y'all. I'm a very instant-gratification minded person so I was hoping to have that high utilization knocked out so the score could start going up while we paid down the consolidated loan and my student loans. Ah well.

Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

You biggest issue is you need to sit down and do a family budget. You and your spouse need to think really hard about how you have been living. As you said, you make great money, but the two of you have not handled it well. 

So sit down together, since it has to be a personal commitment to change by both of you, and write out ALL your expenses.

What are your fixed expenses and what are your variable expenses?

What are extras that are nice, but you can live without?

Where can you make sacrifices?

Is there stuff you can get rid of or sell to raise cash?

Can either of you generate more income?

How often do you eat out? Cable or Netflix? Costly hobbies or trips?

The two of you can do it. It will make your bond stronger. 

I like the approach of Dave Ramsay. http://www.daveramsey.com/blog/get-out-of-debt-with-the-debt-snowball-plan/

There's a free budget tool at https://www.daveramsey.com/everydollar/?snid=footer.tools.everydollar. Or you can sign up for mint.com to do the same. 

The goal is to strike the right balance of expenses to income. You can do it. 

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.