Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Portfolio Recoveries can stuff it!

tag
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Portfolio Recoveries can stuff it!

Would you mind sharing the substance of the BBB complaint, and how the debt collector responded?

Message 11 of 16
dddewdrop
Valued Contributor

That is awesome. So many companies if they think you really are a threat to their BBB status will actually make exceptions for you. That is awesome that you were able to resolve this in this manner. Your bf is a lucky man. It seems clear who "wears the pants" in this relationship Smiley Wink . Mine is pretty much the opposite. I can't even tell my wife that I got a new credit card or she will beg and plead to max it out. She comes from the "projects" so her skills are to do with things like EBT cards (food stamps), dealing with the police, interpersonal conflicts. I deal with managing finances because she has absolutely no self control and cannot even manage a checking account. It is fortunate that we complement each other. 

Message 12 of 16
madmann26
Valued Contributor

Would you mind sharing any info you have? I've been trying to get them to remove the account but I have not been successful.

Thanks in advance,

Current FICO 9 Scores

Message 13 of 16
DaBears
Senior Contributor

Congrats on the removel. I've dealt with PRA a few times and everytime got them deleted for posting phatom payments. They are sneaky. 

Message 14 of 16
madmann26
Valued Contributor

@DaBears wrote:

Congrats on the removel. I've dealt with PRA a few times and everytime got them deleted for posting phatom payments. They are sneaky. 

I tried that with them, pointed out the phantom payments on my credit report and I was told to go pound sand.

Current FICO 9 Scores

Message 15 of 16
sarahcatherinemay
Regular Contributor

If someone can tell me how to post a picture, I will post the whole thing from my complaint to their response!! But here is what I wrote as my complaint: (I just wrote it as if I were my boyfriend) "Portfolio Recovery is knowingly reporting false information to the credit reporting bureaus. They bought an account from HSBC and have continued to falsely report it as an open, revolving account. They are not allowed to report it as a factoring account and list a past due balance as an installment loan, nor was this account in good standing when they bought it. This is a collection account. I have disputed this account, and asked for verification. They failed to respond in the required days with the information that was requested. This account is further negatively affecting my credit report and score due to this company's false reporting. I am demanding full deletion of this account as a result of not verifying the information or contract allowing them to report it as a factoring trade line account." I just kind of rambled and it probably has a ton of mistakes, but IT WORKED!! I sent the complaint through the BBB website on 2/11 and Portfolio Recovery responded on 2/14 so it was fast! Here was their response: "Thank you for bringing this matter to the attention of our office. Portfolio Recovery Associates has investigated the consumer's dispute, closed the account ending in 3520 and requested that the credit reporting agencies delete our trade line for the account from their consumer reports."

Starting Score: 525
Current Score: EQ Fico 766 | TU Fico 715 | EX Fico 753
Goal Score: 800

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.