Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Portfolio Recovery Assoc

tag
distantarray
Established Contributor

Re: Portfolio Recovery Assoc

1. a lot of companies will give you fake court judgements and papers to scare you into paying

2. they will not show up at your door unless you borrowed money from the Mafia 

3. they have little to no power to do anything but to wreck your credit reports

4. they will probably not have any documentation on your account and you can usually get porfolio recovery to fold with a debt validation letter

5. you can shut them up with a nice cease and detest letter where you can sue them for $1,000 if they ever call you again if you send it certified mail return receipt

6. don't sweat collections agencies they have no backbone and no documentation over 90% of the time. If you fight it long enough and get through their run arounds you can get anything removed. ANYTHING Smiley Wink

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 11 of 14
rckstrscott
Valued Contributor

@distantarray wrote:

1. a lot of companies will give you fake court judgements and papers to scare you into paying

2. they will not show up at your door unless you borrowed money from the Mafia 

3. they have little to no power to do anything but to wreck your credit reports

4. they will probably not have any documentation on your account and you can usually get porfolio recovery to fold with a debt validation letter

5. you can shut them up with a nice cease and detest letter where you can sue them for $1,000 if they ever call you again if you send it certified mail return receipt

6. don't sweat collections agencies they have no backbone and no documentation over 90% of the time. If you fight it long enough and get through their run arounds you can get anything removed. ANYTHING Smiley Wink

I bolded number 5. This isn't wise. If you cease and desist a company, their only recourse to contact you with a lawsuit. So you MUST MUST MUST be sure this debt is not valid, or not within the SOL before you send a cease and desist; regardless of if they are fabricating a current judgment or not.

In addition, I am a little shocked at the cavalierness of your response. Yes, you have a lot of valid points, but it isn't as simple as you make it sound. 

Collection compaies can and will sue you. That's much worse than just ruining your credit report.

And I don't really buy your math that 90 percent of collection accounts don't have support documentation. I would venture to say at least 70 percent of my 20+ collection accounts had valid debt validation.

I get what you are saying at, but lets not go overboard on the whole 'CAs are easy to defeat' stance.

-scott

ETA... I do agree with you that ANYTHING can be removed with enough patience, effort, approaches and some well timed luck.

Starting FICO Score: October 2010: TU 498 | EQ: 502
Current FICO Scores:: May 2022: TU: 784 | EQ: 770 | EX: 790
Message 12 of 14
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Hello and welcome to the forums.

First off, Portfolio is not a small mom and pop CA.  They are a large CA and chances are if they say they've had a judgement entered against you, they probably have.  Have you pulled your credit reports?  You get a free yearly federally mandated CR from the bureaus.  You can find this at www.annualcreditreport.com    That way you can see exactly what is on each of your CRs.  The next step is to find out where and when this judgement was placed. I totally agree with rockstrscott on this one, you do not want to fire off cease and desist letters until you know "exactly" what is going on.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 13 of 14
madmann26
Valued Contributor

I echo Shogun. Pull your credit reports and see what is on there. Since they contact you, your window for a timely DV is ticking. Send them a DV via CMRRR.

If they fail to properly validate they must cease contact.

Current FICO 9 Scores

Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.