Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Portfolio Recovery Associates / 2 credit cards

tag
GoGuard

Portfolio Recovery Associates / 2 credit cards

Hello,

I was hoping someone could provide some guideance. I received a summons to General Sessions court last week over 2 credit cards. One has a balance of about $1K or did when I lost my job and couldn't pay it, and the other is a retail store credit card with a balance of maybe $200 or less.

One of these, the largest says the date of last payment was in early 2010 and it was charged off in fall of 2010 and purchased by PRC in summer 2011. The other card has no detailed information in the summons paperwork. I wish I had paperwork to verify these dates but I don't.

I am currently unemployed again, lost my job in fall last year. Can anyone tell me what I should expect when I go to court? I am currently on umenployment but it shows I have 1 more week of the state's 26 weeks of unemployment and I do not know if there are any extensions. I have submitted the question but haven't received a response yet.

Appreciate any comments.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Portfolio Recovery Associates / 2 credit cards

You're pretty much insolvent right now.  I've never been to court, never had a judgement.  I would suggest you go to the court date.  Is there any pro bono legal help in your area?

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 2 of 4
GoGuard

I don't know about the pro bono availability, I will check around. TY for thinking of that option.

Message 3 of 4
Stainless

Regardless, show up to court, SHOW and tell the lawyer (their lawyer won't work with you!) then the judge that you are destitute and that you request the courts for Pro Bono counseling on this matter.  That under such stress you cannot make rational financial decisions, it's a matter of food and shelter.  That you would like to take care of this matter but currently you cannot.  Request that this be deferred for one year until you get on your feet, then get on your feet!!  Get a gas station or fast food job, TRUST ME I was overseas for six years and you live in the GREAT country in the world... YOU CAN GET BACK ON YOUR FEET!!

Now with said, do NOT show up all blinged out, new suit or show up all ratty cloths either.  Dress for the courts.  Also don't act like anyone owes you or poor me... no one does and it's your debt that you created, OWN IT.

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Stainless

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.