Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Portfolio Recovery Associates::: HELP!!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Portfolio Recovery Associates::: HELP!!

I have a collection account with PRA that is PIF (as I was not familar with how to rebuild your credit and didnt know that you should in fact NOT pay these types of accounts without an agreement to have TL retracted) and am trying to get the derogatory mark/trade line removed from my account completely. I had been making 50 dollar payments on this account for years, and now it is paid off. I thought I was doing the right thing, but research led me to realize I should have had terms in writing for when the account was PIF. I  have emailed the applicable personal emails within Portfolio Recovery Associates that I could find online, but most emails were expired. I got a response from the Consumer Ombudsman saying that they are not able to remove PIF delinquent accounts... as it is against their policy... which we all know is not true. I also just mailed a goodwill letter to Laura White, the Chief Compliance Officer, so maybe that will help as well. Do I just continue to send goodwill letters once a month? Do I dispute the TL even though I know it is accurate? Does anyone have advice on how I can get this deleted from my report before the 7 year mark? Do CA accept PFD if the account is already PIF? Any help would be great... needing to move out of an unhealthy relationship and need to raise my credit score to 700 by April. This TL only appears on one of my credit reports, which makes it even more difficult.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 28
27 REPLIES 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Portfolio Recovery Associates::: HELP!!

I had this CA on my CR... PAID them last week. They still haven't update my account balance. Unfortunately I am told they will not delete the tradeline but they will update the account to reflect a CLOSED, ZERO balance. Which still doesn't help but at least with an manual eye they can see I took cAre of the debt. Good luck.
Message 2 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

They haven't removed my balance either, so I disputed it to get things moving quicker.
Message 3 of 28
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

The proper way to get it removed is by a goodwill request. You can put them on a schedule for a letter once a month or even longer if you choose. I do not suggest a letter every week or day as some suggest. Welcome to the board Smiley Happy

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/GW-letter-Q-amp-A-Examples-and-GW-Success-Sto...

Message 4 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I have a collection account with PRA that is PIF (as I was not familar with how to rebuild your credit and didnt know that you should in fact NOT pay these types of accounts without an agreement to have TL retracted) and am trying to get the derogatory mark/trade line removed from my account completely. I had been making 50 dollar payments on this account for years, and now it is paid off. I thought I was doing the right thing, but research led me to realize I should have had terms in writing for when the account was PIF. I  have emailed the applicable personal emails within Portfolio Recovery Associates that I could find online, but most emails were expired. I got a response from the Consumer Ombudsman saying that they are not able to remove PIF delinquent accounts... as it is against their policy... which we all know is not true. I also just mailed a goodwill letter to Laura White, the Chief Compliance Officer, so maybe that will help as well. Do I just continue to send goodwill letters once a month? Do I dispute the TL even though I know it is accurate? Does anyone have advice on how I can get this deleted from my report before the 7 year mark? Do CA accept PFD if the account is already PIF? Any help would be great... needing to move out of an unhealthy relationship and need to raise my credit score to 700 by April. This TL only appears on one of my credit reports, which makes it even more difficult.

Thanks!

It is true, it's "THEIR" policy not to delete once paid.

I suggest a GW letter once a month to Ms. White.

Good luck.

Message 5 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Donny is Ms White the lady in the Ombudsman office?

Message 6 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have sent a GW letter to Ms. White last week. I also called emailed Bank of America CEO, as BOFA was the original creditor. I talked to a woman named Jamie today that assured me-- somehow the PRA mark was indeed removed from my report. But How??? I am wondering if the goodwill letter has worked already? Or the dispute about the account balance is the reason for this? I know that marks arent removed from your report while they are being disputed, so it must have gotten removed somehow. Jamie from Bank of America is going to send me a letter confirming that the account is currently not on my report. SO WEIRD. I am confused and having hard time believing her, but no reason why she would lie. I will forward the letter she is mailing me to the credit bureaus to dispute the TL if it is not removed as she said. Hopefully that will be the end of this! Thoughts?

Message 7 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

I talked to Transunion.. Looks like they can't see it while it is being disputed. In the meantime I am requesting a goodwill letter from Jamie at Bank of America. Hopefully she has no problem writing the letter, as when we spoke on the phone she seemed happy to help me if necessary. FINGERS CROSSED.

Message 8 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Fingers Crossed For You Too sotrelush... The creditor I paid off was Captial One ...their Secured card for $364.... I did the dispute thing too about the balance bc my last report shows that they are still updating with an open account balance as of 1/27 which it should not be if I paid It.

I am not sure what good are the credit bureaus because I sent in proof of payment with my dispute and they had the audacity to say dispute resolved balance accurate I'm like what the hell.

I called PRA back to find out what that is all about she said they don't update anything until after 10 days which the payment is definitely cleared even though showing as a settled transaction.

I too found the CEO And his senior management team info online as far as email address but only for them to bounce back. I suppose Mrs. White is the way to go as I too want this removed from reports. It's a paid account for what reason would you still want to do business with me. I mean... there should be a law all paid in full accounts are satisfied which mean you can no longer credit report. #IJs.

Keep me posted. Thanks
Message 9 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Donny is Ms White the lady in the Ombudsman office?

No, she is the compliance officer.

Message 10 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.