cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Portfolio Recovery Associates LLC DELETED!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Portfolio Recovery Associates LLC DELETED!

Ok not deleted yet but have letters stating they will be deleting from my credit reports!!

For background purposes, I had two accounts with them. They both were super old and I had honest questions about one of them.

I was screamed at by a representative when I politely asked for validation. 

After a month of back and forth, I finally got a manager in the dispute department to pull the call. While we do not agree on screaming, the fact the rep continued to ask me who would have opened these accounts if not me.. and wouldn't let me answer, was evidence enough to being harassive. 

I did file with the CRPB and BBB after the first few managers refused to even listen to the call. 

They responded to the BBB stating that they would be deleting just one but got two letters in the mail listing two separate accounts, each stating they will be closing and deleting each from my reports. 

Thank you for all the support you guys have given me and knowledge. So glad this didn't have to go to court but I was prepared!

Message 1 of 85
84 REPLIES 84
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Portfolio Recovery Associates LLC DELETED!

Enjoy Smiley Happy
Message 2 of 85
Sandman771
Valued Contributor

Awesome news! I spoke to a person whom I trust that does credit repair (not the gimmicks most folks try to pull, but this guy only asks for money if he actually accomplishes anything). But anyway, he was the oen who told me Portfolio was the worst to have to deal with bar none. I unfortunately have one with them myself, among others. 

I'm preparing my PFD letters this week so hopefully it will go well. This rebuilding stinks. Wish i knew then what I knew now. 

Starting Score: EQ497/TU496/EX 499
Currently: EQ 620 TU 654 EX 627
in the garden since 6/16/2021
Message 3 of 85
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Sandman771 they won't do a pay for delete in all honesty, I mean you may get someone who will but they won't send it in writing that they will. If you want I can message you some tips I used. I have been yelled at twice by their reps and I PROMISE I was nothing but polite. If you know your rights they get angry, which can work in your favor. 

Message 4 of 85
Anonymous
Not applicable

@marieland

I am in the same situation as well. I have an account with them and have been trying to PDF but never worked. I could use some helpful tips.

Thanks

Message 5 of 85
Anonymous
Not applicable

pm sent

Message 6 of 85
Anonymous
Not applicable

@marieland, would you be willing to share your tips with me too! I am trying so hard to rebuid and these guys are giving me a headache! I would love to know any additional tips before I make the call to them to try and resolve this. Thanks and congrats on getting them to work with you!

Message 7 of 85
Anonymous
Not applicable

Pm Sent @luckychoirgirl

Message 8 of 85
Anonymous
Not applicable

Dealing with PRA can be a major pain, but not if you know how to work with them and have an understanding of their organziational structure.  Often times their representatives or "account managers" have very limited authority to settle accounts for a reasonable amount.  Their salaries and bonus structures are set up based on getting the absolute most money out of you.  They will therefore make unfounded threats and try to pressure you into paying more than you should.  

STAY CALM AND STAY PATIENT!  These account managers are  not lawyers and are not fully trained in the state laws put in place to protect those who are in debt.  There are very very specific rules and regulations these debt collection companies must follow in order to legally collect on a debt.  Violation of these rules can result in them actually paying you money and dismissing any case.

While it's possible to defend these accounts on your own, hiring a debt defense attorney is almost always worth the money and time.  The debt collection companies such as PRA know and are afraid of most of the debt defense attorneys out there so they will often dismiss or agree to a very generous setlement with a simple phone call.  PRA wants to take advantage of the average person's ignorance of the law.  They are banking on the fact that they have attorneys and you don't so they can get a judgment against you without any work.  What would take you weeks of research and hassle can be done by an experienced attorney in a day or so.

(Mod Cut-Im sorry while what you have said above can remain as its general knowledge what has been removed is considered advertising which isnt allowed by the TOS of this site)

*DISCLAIMER: Nothing in the forum should be seen as the formation of an attorney-client relationship.  Nothing in this forum post should be taken as legal advice, it is merely informational.  

Message 9 of 85
Anonymous
Not applicable

Should be added that I am not a lawyer and beat them with yes... weeks or research but I didn't have to pay anyone. In fact I found a lawyer willing to go to bat FOR FREE, because he could take the money out of the judgement I would have gotten. 

Message 10 of 85
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.