Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Portfolio Recovery Associates and Incorrect Debt Information

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Portfolio Recovery Associates and Incorrect Debt Information

Hello! 

I've been watching and learning from these threads for months now, and am in the beginning stages of fixing my credit. You guys are amazingly helpful! 

I am prioritizing items on my CR and noticed that My capitol one, charged off credit card is listing one balance but PRA is listing another in purchasing the debt. This incorrect information is listed in all 3 of my CR's. Here is the bare bones info:

Capitol One: $588

Portfolio Recovery Associates (Bought from CO): $594

My question is, still being a newbie...what should I do from this point. I've read that PRA is extremely difficult to work with and I want to get the inaccuracy fixed so that I can start cleaning things up. 

Thanks so much for you guys' help Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Portfolio Recovery Associates and Incorrect Debt Information

The debt collector has likely updated the original debt balance to now include any further accrual of interest or oter authorized fees.

Under the OC account, if they have sold the debt, the amount of the debt at time of charge-off remains as a "sticky" value, but the current value should be updated to $0.

Are you sure the debt collector has purchased the debt, or does the OC sitll own it, and the debt collector is only their assigned collection agent?

Both can simultaneously show in your credit report even though the debt collector does not own the debt......

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Under the Transunion remarks, I'm seeing 

Account Sale Info: ACCOUNT SOLD TO PORTFOLIO RECOVERIES ASSOCIATE

Remarks: PURCHASED BY ANOTHER LENDER; TRANSFERRED TO ANOTHER OFFICE

The balance is at $0, but its showing that the amount charge off amount was $588 on the other two CR.

This is showing under Portfolio Recovery

Original Amount: $594

Original Creditor: CAPITAL ONE

BANK USA NA

It might be interest maybe, but it feels like an error...idk Smiley Sad

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not an error. Its just added interest/fees. Every time PRA updates it they will add more interest.

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Not an error. Its just added interest/fees. Every time PRA updates it they will add more interest.

Thanks you! Good to know Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.