cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Portfolio Recovery Associates..how to deal with these people?

tag
Dynamo24
New Contributor

Portfolio Recovery Associates..how to deal with these people?

Got a "second notice" letter from PRA saying that my account could be up for "legal review". I have not DV'd this yet. I am apprehensive because I sent a DV to Gurstel Chargo and got sued 3 weeks later for $1150. I'm nervous if I DV this the same will happen. Unfortunatley after paying off GC for my CapOne, I can't cover the cost of this $1900 account at the moment although I will be able to a little later down the road (about 4 months). So my question is how do I go about dealing with this without getting sued again? If I get sued I can't pay them right away and really don't want a judgement against me while I'm trying to settle these bad debts. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks guys. 

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Dynamo24
New Contributor

Re: Portfolio Recovery Associates..how to deal with these people?

Also this is not a new debt by any means, I want to say its about 3.5 years old and I think PRA is the 3rd agency to attempt collection on this so I know they paid bottom dollar on this account. Not sure if that changes the approach at all. 

Message 2 of 9
Dynamo24
New Contributor

bump

Message 3 of 9
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

When did they send dunning notice?

Message 4 of 9
Dynamo24
New Contributor

They sent this second one on 3/21. The first I can't locate. I thought I saved it but I'm almost positive it was >30 days ago.
Message 5 of 9
DaBears
Senior Contributor

I would send a DV (CMRRR) to put a bar collection on them until they verify. If you don't they can say it is valid as you did not respond to it.

Message 6 of 9
Dynamo24
New Contributor

Would the DV possibly open up the door for a suit to be filed? How can I let them know I intend to pay, but I just don't have the money to right now. Plus if they do sue me they won't get jack squat anyway..maybe this computer or my cell phone.

Message 7 of 9
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Message 8 of 9
Dynamo24
New Contributor

5 years. So its still within SOL
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.