Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Portfolio Recovery Associates incorrect tradeline reporting

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Portfolio Recovery Associates incorrect tradeline reporting

Here we go... I will try to be brief....my husband went to the dentist with tooth decay. He needed implant and 10k in dental work. Care Credit card approved 16k credit limit. First min payment was 280 approx. after dental work done min payment 380 approx. couldn't keep up with the payments. SYNCHRONY sold debt to Portfolio Recovery Associates on Sept 2014. Payment plan started 12/2014. After a year of electronic payments I disputed account to get tradelines reporting accurate with the help of Lexington Law.  They phoned my husband and said since the account was in dispute they couldnt accept any payments. 

He had to agree to a new payment plan. He called dispute department and ask them to report the tradeline without past due. Transunion reports Open Account Status Collection Past Due 0  Comments:  Collection Account Original Creditor 01 Synchrony Bank paying under partial or modified payment agreement.   Experian is reporting Installment  Past Due 10,430. high limit 11,082 Account Status Collection. Comments: Original Creditor Synchrony Bank Last reported Delinquencies": 11/2015 =i9 Collection Account Dispute Following Resolution Last Paid 12/15  Equifax  Account Type: Open Balance 10,430 Monthly payment $0 Account Status Collection Past Due: 10,430  Comments: Last Reported Delinquincies 11/2015=O5 Collection Account.   

Okay so now they say he can't dispute with tradelines and accept payment so how do I proceed? 11/15 code 05 for equifax how can he be delinquent if he as been paying on this account electronally every month since 12/2014.  When they asked for a new payment plan on 11/2015 due to the dispute. They reported a 120 late on payment history on equifax.  

Anyone in this same boat who can give any experience, Strength, or Hope!!!

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Portfolio Recovery Associates incorrect tradeline reporting

@Anonymous wrote:

Here we go... I will try to be brief....my husband went to the dentist with tooth decay. He needed implant and 10k in dental work. Care Credit card approved 16k credit limit. First min payment was 280 approx. after dental work done min payment 380 approx. couldn't keep up with the payments. SYNCHRONY sold debt to Portfolio Recovery Associates on Sept 2014. Payment plan started 12/2014. After a year of electronic payments I disputed account to get tradelines reporting accurate with the help of Lexington Law.  They phoned my husband and said since the account was in dispute they couldnt accept any payments. 

He had to agree to a new payment plan. He called dispute department and ask them to report the tradeline without past due. Transunion reports Open Account Status Collection Past Due 0  Comments:  Collection Account Original Creditor 01 Synchrony Bank paying under partial or modified payment agreement.   Experian is reporting Installment  Past Due 10,430. high limit 11,082 Account Status Collection. Comments: Original Creditor Synchrony Bank Last reported Delinquencies": 11/2015 =i9 Collection Account Dispute Following Resolution Last Paid 12/15  Equifax  Account Type: Open Balance 10,430 Monthly payment $0 Account Status Collection Past Due: 10,430  Comments: Last Reported Delinquincies 11/2015=O5 Collection Account.   

Okay so now they say he can't dispute with tradelines and accept payment so how do I proceed? 11/15 code 05 for equifax how can he be delinquent if he as been paying on this account electronally every month since 12/2014.  When they asked for a new payment plan on 11/2015 due to the dispute. They reported a 120 late on payment history on equifax.  

Anyone in this same boat who can give any experience, Strength, or Hope!!!

We had that same problem on my dh reports.  We couldn't get anywhere with them, after lots of back and forth I filed a complaint with the CFPB and they finally updated correctly.  I hope you get somewhere with them, where my husband was concerned they weren't easy to work with.

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

PRA was created in hell and sent to earth to make us all suffer their wrath.
Message 3 of 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

If they are asserting that they cannot accept payment under your agreed plan while a dispute is pending, then they would need support for such a position under the agreed terms of your repayment contract.  Otherwise, unless you both have agreed to that provision, they would not have basis to unilaterally place such a restricion on payments.

It also appears contradictory that payments cannot be accepted under your contract, while they can hold lack of payment to be a reportable delinquency.

I would consult an attorney for review of your contract, with view towards a breach of contract action for imposing terms not part of the contract.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.