Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Portfolio Recovery Associates question

tag
KSK1912
Valued Contributor

Re: Portfolio Recovery Associates question

@RobertEG wrote:

It is initially stated that their collections are from old cc debts that were charged-off some time ago.

They  thus appear to be an acknowledged and legit debt for which credit report deletion is sought based on errors in their reporting which can be contenstd and corrected in they are in fact  found to be inaccurate.  Deletion of reporting of the collection is not the required remedy for inaccuracies in reporting of information related to the debt.

Errors in reporting can be disputed and corrected, but that does not appear to alter the fact that the debts themselves are legit and unpaid, and thus the reporting of a collection is proper. 

Errors in such items as balance of the debt, dates of various occurences, etc., should be disputed.

If you feel that stating they are a factoring company is inaccurate, then you can file a formal complaint with the CFPB or bring civil action.

However, it is unclear as to how that negates their continued collection on what appears to be a legitmate debt that they acquired, whether or not their acquisition can be termed as "factoring." 

How do any of those possible inaccuracies negate their reporting of attempts to collect on the debt?

Here is few questions to you which you can just answer YES or NO, then i will be happy to explain why there is a big difference between PRA reporting as a "Factoring Company" Then maybe you can understand why it makes a big difference.

You can answer to the best of your knowledge:

Is Portfolio Recovery Assest a Debt Collection Company?

Would not an account have to be "Past Due" to go to collections, whether 30 or 60 90 days or more?

Do you know what a factoring company does?

Thanks!

6/14/15: Equifax 576 Experian 542 Transunion 571
8/17/15: Equifax 626 Experian 619 Transunion 622
9/28/15: Equifax 655 Experian 636 Transunion 641
11/11/15: Equifax 698 Experian 687 Transunion 672
Short Term Goal Score: 720 Across the board

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Are you free Tuesday..?
Message 21 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have one account with them for about $500 and they won't even sign for my DV that I sent certified mail!  I don't know what to do about these people anymore!  Same issues as original post...unmatched dates, reporting as over 120 days late monthly, and says account was opened earlier this year (which isn't true at all)  Oc was Cap 1.  Any information you have that can help would be appreciated greatly!

Message 22 of 41
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

There is no question that there is a difference between companies that deal in factoring vs those who deal as debt collectors.

Factoring companies deal with providing quick $$ to companies for their accounts receivable, and top dollar is paid for accounts that are in good-standing.

The selling creditor pays fees that are normally in the single digit percentage range, and vary based on how solid the factoring company assesses the debt to be.

Debt collectors  are involved, by definition, with delinquent debts as opposed to those in good-standing.  They pay pennies on the dollar, or only work for a percentage of what is collected if they are only assigned.

However, the clear differences between what a factoring company and a debt collector normally do, and thus their normal "bisiness," does not adress the issue of whether a company who pays for debt that has become delinquent is also factoring the debt.

It is not a resolved issue in the case law, and while many will state flatly that a factoring company cannot include debt that has become delinquent, there is no basis that I am aware of for such a conclusion.  The statement by a debt collector that they are also a factoring company is not, in my opinion, clearly inaccurate.

Of the many who have posted here on the site of complaints to the CFPB on this issue, I have yet to see the CFPB weigh in with their position that a debt collector asserting to also do business as a factoring company is improper.

Message 23 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

KSK, would you mind send the same info to me as well? .Thanks in advance.
Message 24 of 41
KSK1912
Valued Contributor

@RobertEG wrote:

There is no question that there is a difference between companies that deal in factoring vs those who deal as debt collectors.

Factoring companies deal with providing quick $$ to companies for their accounts receivable, and top dollar is paid for accounts that are in good-standing.

The selling creditor pays fees that are normally in the single digit percentage range, and vary based on how solid the factoring company assesses the debt to be.

Debt collectors  are involved, by definition, with delinquent debts as opposed to those in good-standing.  They pay pennies on the dollar, or only work for a percentage of what is collected if they are only assigned.

However, the clear differences between what a factoring company and a debt collector normally do, and thus their normal "bisiness," does not adress the issue of whether a company who pays for debt that has become delinquent is also factoring the debt.

It is not a resolved issue in the case law, and while many will state flatly that a factoring company cannot include debt that has become delinquent, there is no basis that I am aware of for such a conclusion.  The statement by a debt collector that they are also a factoring company is not, in my opinion, clearly inaccurate.

Of the many who have posted here on the site of complaints to the CFPB on this issue, I have yet to see the CFPB weigh in with their position that a debt collector asserting to also do business as a factoring company is improper.

Factoring companies do not deal with any past due accounts, charge offs, collections, or bad debt or etc. They only buy invoices (simplest way to say) that are not due yet. Selling business gets a quick cash flow, and factoring company makes a profit when the invoice is paid. Factoring companies do not deal with the end user, credit card debts and just about any account in that nature. Then, why is PRA trying to pass themselves as a Factoring company rather than a debt collector, or collection agency? Very simple. Because then, they are not obligated to obey the rules and regulations of  Fair Debt Collection Practices Act! Why? Because they are "claiming" that they are not a collection agency. This already tells you from the get go that you are dealing with a crook company. Because they are claiming to be something else just so that they don't have to play the game by the rules. Another reason is so that they can update your account on a monthly bases like the original creditor. Another reason they are not a very professional company is i did have a chat with their ombudsman on their website about my account and asked her why the company was reporting as a factoring company and she said that, that information comes from the credit bureaus and they don't have anything to do with it which is a bulls***! All we are trying to do here is use our rights as a consumer, under the federal law, and making sure that everyone is doing their job right, the way it is supposed to be done. If they were doing their job right, they would not have to worry about any legit account being deleted; because, they would have the answer or the paperwork to proove me that what they are reporting is correct. Since this is not the case, at least in my case, instead of collecting the full amount, they ended up having to delete the account. Instead of trying to be the tough guy and say "Oh we will never delete your account whether you pay it or not", if they would have accepted the pif for delete offer, they would have made more money and it would have saved them several hours of labor and money.

If they are allowed to push the limits, bend the rules to their advantage, and cross the line most of the time, then i will use every single right, loophole, in the book as well.

Are you free Tuesday..?
Message 25 of 41
KSK1912
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
KSK, would you mind send the same info to me as well? .Thanks in advance.

i did email someone else last night with details, so i will just copy and paste the message and send it to you via PM shortly

Are you free Tuesday..?
Message 26 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

They are still fighting me as well.

EH...see my tag line. My Albatross.  I'm in BBB round 3 right now.

Message 27 of 41
KSK1912
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

They are still fighting me as well.

EH...see my tag line. My Albatross.  I'm in BBB round 3 right now.

That hardly helps. They just had a judgement against them in the court for millions and millions of $$$ and they could care less about it.

Are you free Tuesday..?
Message 28 of 41
KSK1912
Valued Contributor

Since i am getting too many messages about how i got them deleted, here is a copy of the message i send to another user lst night that explains my situation. I hope this helps anyone that has an account with PRA

PRA and capital one were the 2 last baddies on all 3 of my credit reports except one public judgement on experian. PRA is the worst to deal with. Your accounts are older than mine, but still fairly new, 3 years and a little under 3 years. I have paid off a lot of stuff and got deleted from my 3 cra's in the last few months since i started rebuilding. The only one i could not do anything was pra. Anf capital one i had no way of doing anything with them because they already sold the account (to PRA), so i basically would just leave them alone and let it be the on bad account i have on my credit report untill it falls off in 2019. Finally i gave up on dealing with PRA and decided to try lexington law. I signed up with them maybe 3 months ago, i think in august, and finally couple weeks ago, after couple of letters back and forth with both PRA and Cap One, they both got deleted from all 3 credit bureaus. Look at my scores from my signature, after the deletion, right now i am at right under 700 EX-EQ and 730 TU. If you can not find any other way to get them deleted, you may wanna give lexington law a try. I have talked to them a few times and they also confirmed that PRA is one of the worst to deal with. Asking for Verificatio of debt or disputing online with the CRA just dont help when it comes to PRA. For me this was one of those cases where having money to pay of a collection account was just not enough as it would still be on my credit report even after paid, and also would update the last activity date and i would have to wait for another 7 years for them to fall off of my credit reports.

pra.gifpra2.gif

It says 1 of 2 accounts, the second one was Capital One which got deleted too.

Are you free Tuesday..?
Message 29 of 41
dragnldy
Regular Contributor

Portfolio is honestly the WORST I ever dealt with on my journey!  They seem to "know"  who's trying to work their way up/ through and they want to scare you/ nail you to the wall.  The record dishonestly and are totally willing to F- you up just to freak you out.  Get a payment plan in writing,  don't sway from it,  watch when your payments are due,  when you sent them (had issues with them not cashing checks until after the due date when they were sent 10 days earlier,  then calling me the day after they were due to get a "late" payment by CC,  then the original payment went through the day after-  I definitely stopped that after the 2nd time!) Watch the daily interest,  not monthly.  Don't fall for a phone call or letter leading you on.  Stay on the path you agreed to via USPS.  Then you have to send many letters after it's paid off to clear, but do it!

As far as amounts, account numbers not matching.  The amount they give you will include their so-called interest on the account.  The account number they will change to their own account number so you are misled.

Ficos
3/7/08 TU-646 EQ-640 EX-650
3/17/09 TU-678 EQ 666
3/20/12 TU- 760 EQ 785
Util almost 0 and baddies all gone! now to gardening!
Message 30 of 41
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.