Portfolio Recovery Associates

tag
msanchezsf
New Visitor

Portfolio Recovery Associates

Help!

Here's the situation...

2001-Opened a HSBC account

2006-Completed a debt relief management program with Careone - I believe the only thing they didn't negotiate down or unable to was this HSBC card.

Post DRM Program to Current--Never made a payment to them after the completion of the DRM program---never talked to a debt collector & I ignored the letters & just tonight got served with a summons saying I owe this amount because I opened this account in the last 4 years.  My credit report shows that this account was charged off.

I live in California--the account was opened in California.  I read the statue on Debt is 4 years.  I see that PRA are scum bags.  What can I do to stop them in their tracks?  How can I get this removed from my credit report since this was charged off by HSBC?  I am trying to rebuild my mistakes from the past---please if anyone can help.

Thank you for taking the time in reading this.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: Portfolio Recovery Associates

Welcome to the forums !

I'm going to move your post to the rebuilding forum.
March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 2 of 4
fishbjc
Senior Contributor

If PRA purchased the debt, they own it.  They have legal right to collect on it.  Whatever you do, you must answer this summons or they can get a default judgment. 

They are a tough nut to crack....one of the hardest.  BUT, it can be done.

Message 3 of 4
DaBears
Senior Contributor

When was the DoFD on the account. Very important to know.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.