Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Portfolio Recovery Assoiates

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Portfolio Recovery Assoiates

I have one account reporting in collections on my credit reports with this group. I started the process today to try to get the account removed. I have read they are very difficult to work with and get the account removed. They are reporting a charge off on 8/14 and 9/14 when this account was paid off on 10/13. I told them that was inaccurate and asked they delete the account.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to get them to delete from the credit bureaus?
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
tufa4311
Established Contributor

Re: Portfolio Recovery Assoiates

Others have had luck:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/Portfolio-Recovery-Associates-Deletion-Succes...

Just do a search on this forum and you will find many hits, you'll need to do some research.

796 TU FICO 08 (08/2018)
758 TU FICO 08 (01/12/2016)
753 TU FICO 08 (11/21/2015)
740: EQ Score Power (Beacon 5.0) FICO 04 (01/23/2015)
755 TU FICO 08 (01/21/2015)
652 TU Lender Pull (06/10/2014)
665 TU FICO 08 (05/21/2014)
Goal: 800+
Message 2 of 8
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:
I have one account reporting in collections on my credit reports with this group. I started the process today to try to get the account removed. I have read they are very difficult to work with and get the account removed. They are reporting a charge off on 8/14 and 9/14 when this account was paid off on 10/13. I told them that was inaccurate and asked they delete the account.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to get them to delete from the credit bureaus?

A collector cannot be reporting a CO only a collection account. If this is showing a monthly payment history its not allowed and a complaint to the CFPB would be in order. Per CRA rules paid of COs and CAs are not suppposed to update monthly either even though there is no law that prevents them.

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I asked them and they said that they show it paid in in full in 2013. But I do see derogatory remarks in 2014. I escalated it a couple of hours ago. I'm awaiting a response. I do not lie these people. I am thinking of disputing through the credit bureau. It I don't want it to be validated and the 7 year clock restarts
Message 4 of 8
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:
I asked them and they said that they show it paid in in full in 2013. But I do see derogatory remarks in 2014. I escalated it a couple of hours ago. I'm awaiting a response. I do not lie these people. I am thinking of disputing through the credit bureau. It I don't want it to be validated and the 7 year clock restarts

Nothing resets the DoFD once an account reaches CO status to do so would be a violation of law.

Message 5 of 8
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Are you saying that they have first reported that the creditor did a charge-off long after it was paid?

Any inaccuracy in what they are reporting depends,, of course, on what they have reported.

If they are stating that the creditor did a prior charge-off and that is correct, then I see no inaccuracy.

The date that a party reports a CO does not state when the CO was done, only that at some prior time it was charged to profit and loss by the owner.

What exactly is their reporting?

Additionally, you can dispute should you assert an inaccuracy, but the required outcome is not deletion of the information, even if it is shown to be inaccurate.

The furnisher always has the option to correct any inaccuracy.  Deletion only becomes a requirment if they fail to either verify its accuracy as reported or update so as to overcome any agreed inaccuracy.

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes. They originally charged off in 2012. It was paid in full in October 2013.

They listed that they once again charged the account off in August and September of last year.
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Yes. They originally charged off in 2012. It was paid in full in October 2013.

They listed that they once again charged the account off in August and September of last year. Did you do any disputing of the account at that time?

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.