Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Portfolio Recovery Collection...so confused and need help

tag
darxan3
Established Member

Portfolio Recovery Collection...so confused and need help

Hi - I've been using this forum for a couple of month to work on rebuilding my credit and I want thank everyone for all their posts - this site has helped me so much.  Here is my question....on February 23rd I mailed out 6 PFD letters to all the higher ups at Portfolio recovery.  On March 1st I received a response from one person from Portfolio Recovery stating the following:

"We have agreed to accept your offer to no longer dispute this balance, pay this account in full of $518.00 and in return we will notify the 3 major credit bureaus to remove this account from your credit file.  A copy of the Universal Data Form requesting this deletion will be forwarded to your home address for your records."

So I immediately went to the bank and got a certified check for $518.00, wrote my account info. on it and mailed it certified mail directly to the person who had sent me the above letter.  I received the receipt return (the little green card) with a date stamped that they received the letter and payment on March 6th. 

I have just been waiting to get the universal data form thing and a receipt from them that they received my payment.  Yesterday I got a letter from the same person who sent me the letter above, the same person I mailed my payment directly to.  This letter I received yesterday stated:

"This letter is to confirm the arrangements you have made with Portfolio Recovery to repay your delinquent account (No. XXXXXXX) in the amount of $521.74.  Upon receipt of this payment our company will report your account as paid in full to the three major credit reporting agencies."

I am so confused - this new letter is dated March 10th - they received my payment March 6th.  This is not a receipt that they even received my payment.  It also is stating that they will report the account as paid in full, not have it completely removed.

I have the original letter from Portfolio Recovery stating it will be deleted....what is my next step - how do I follow up on this?

Message 1 of 6
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
darxan3
Established Member

Re: Portfolio Recovery Collection...so confused and need help

Get out!  I am clueless about this stuff. Okay cool - I will send the letters and see what happens.  I am hoping it was a mix up since the guy originally agreed to do the PFD which he didn't have to do....I would love to get this off of my credit report.  Thanks so much for your help.
Message 5 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would make a copy of both letters and send another letter directly to that person stating that per the agreement dated XX/XX/2009, you made payment of $518. You did not receive a receipt or the form they state you would receive and the account is still appearing on your credit report. You have now received another letter requesting a different amount, with no mention of deletion. You fulfilled the terms of the original agreement and expect them to do the same, as doing otherwise would be considered breach of contract. Also state that you are allowing 45 days for the removal of this account from your CR before seeking further action.

Message 2 of 6
darxan3
Established Member

Okay I'll do that - thank you so much for the advice.  By the way do I have any rights to seek further action if they don't comply? 
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you've got proof of payment, you have the right to file in small claims for breach of contract.
Message 4 of 6
darxan3
Established Member

Get out!  I am clueless about this stuff. Okay cool - I will send the letters and see what happens.  I am hoping it was a mix up since the guy originally agreed to do the PFD which he didn't have to do....I would love to get this off of my credit report.  Thanks so much for your help.
Message 5 of 6
persistent98
Valued Member

Any chance you got this deleted?  i just got a message from the VP of PR and they agreed to update credit reporting as paid in full for payment,  and that it is not a company practice to delete information.  Not sure if I should pay it and send a Goodwill or Dv to get it off report???  Any help is appreciated>
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.