Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Portfolio Recovery Collections

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Portfolio Recovery Collections

I just got done fighting with PRA. I won! Hit them with a DV letter CM and DEMAND signed contracts, payment history ledger and proof of balance, I did exactly that and they sent a generic statement, I followed that with a complaint to the BBB and they folded. It was off my credit files in 3 days
Message 11 of 13
trnl2016
Regular Contributor

I, too, just won my battle with PRA. It sounds like you have less than 1 year left before SOL expires, so I would personally wait and stay quiet. My situation will be different from yours because I live in Texas, but after my collection hit SOL, I sent a DV request. They never replied so I filed a claim against them with the BBB stating they violated Texas Finance Code so they agreed to delete. Gone by the next day. Like I said, my situation won't apply to you but at least hopefully you can see that it's possible to win with them, but also best to perhaps wait until they can't sue you anymore. Don't aggravate them into doing so, though.

Message 12 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@RobertEG wrote:

FDCPA 804(3) states that

"Any debt collector communicating with any person other than the consumer for the purpose of acquiring location information about the consumer ahall

(1) identity himself, state that he is confirming location information concering the consumer, and only if expressly requested, identify his employer;

(2) not state that such consumer owes any debt;

(3) not communicate with such person more than once unless requested to do so by such person or unless the debt collector reasonably believes that the earlier response of such person is erroneous or incomplete and that such person now has correct or complete location information"

I would advise that she ask for their basis for believing that she is lying and knows where he is, and also advise that any further calls will result in complaint to the CFPB and possible civil action.

I would not include reference to such issues in any DV.  They are unrelatedl

I wish I knew about this before. I remember they were calling my in-laws home and giving my in-laws all of the information. Talk about privacy. Thanks for letting us know this.

Message 13 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.