Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Portfolio Recovery - HELP!!!!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Portfolio Recovery - HELP!!!!

I originally DV'd Portfolio Recovery in May and they responded with an invoice printed up on their letterhead with original creditor as Midland Credit  and an amount owed. I had requested full media validation, so I was advised to send 2nd DV

Second DV sent, and got a response yesterday. " PRA is in receipt of your second validation request or dispute concerning the acoount referenced. In our response to your initial communication, we provided validation of the account as required by federal case law. Specifically, the courts have stated that verification of a debt involves "nothing more than the debt collector confirming in writing that the amount being demanded is what the creditor is claiming is owed".

Is this what is considered validation by federal courts? Couldn't any Joe Blow say anyone owes them money and all they have to do is put it in writing? This is BS!

What should I do now? Thanks for everyone's advice!
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Portfolio Recovery - HELP!!!!

darrello wrote:
I originally DV'd Portfolio Recovery in May and they responded with an invoice printed up on their letterhead with original creditor as Midland Credit  and an amount owed. I had requested full media validation, so I was advised to send 2nd DV

Second DV sent, and got a response yesterday. " PRA is in receipt of your second validation request or dispute concerning the acoount referenced. In our response to your initial communication, we provided validation of the account as required by federal case law. Specifically, the courts have stated that verification of a debt involves "nothing more than the debt collector confirming in writing that the amount being demanded is what the creditor is claiming is owed".

Is this what is considered validation by federal courts? Couldn't any Joe Blow say anyone owes them money and all they have to do is put it in writing? This is BS!

What should I do now? Thanks for everyone's advice!

First off, Midland Credit is NOT a creditor.

Second, FDCPA does not really define what proper validation is. It does state a "copy of the debt or judgment" or "verification of the name and address of the original creditor" or something along those lines. Proper validation is open for debate and has been ruled on in a few courts.

I would send a letter back stating, I requested validation not verification. I am not requesting the same information that I can look at my credit report and get. I would like PROOF that this is a valid debt that I owe and you are legally able to collect. The first response I received from you was an attempt to validate, but did not fullfill my request and was innaccurate. The statement received listed Midland Credit as the creditor and I have never had a credit transaction with them. If Midland Credit is in fact the creditor on the above referenced account and this the only information you can provide, then I can only assume that this is not my debt, please remove it from my credit reports.
Something along those lines.
Message 2 of 8
Schoolbuskid
Valued Contributor

Portfolio Rec. is reporting the same way on my mothers account, I have not DV'd them yet, but i plan on it!

I think they buy these debts from MCM and then try to say they are the original creditor, because MCM probably didnt supply them enough info on debt!

Great little letter by the way sidewinder!
Rebuilding and Reducing Debt, is my game plan.
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Sidewinder, I'll send another letter ASAP.
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

bump... I'm just wondering... how did this ever work out for you?

Message Edited by ConvexLes on 07-09-2008 01:19 AM
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I finally submitted a complaint with the BBB and AG based on the fact they never submitted to the CRA's that teh account was in dispute and kept updating. They responded to the BBB and agreed to delete. When they sent me a copy of the response to the BBB and paperwork to delete, they also included all the original paperwork from the OC actually validating the debt, but they did delete. Go figure, I'm just glad they are gone.
Message 6 of 8
Schoolbuskid
Valued Contributor

I DV PRA and they did provide OC, DOLA, DOLP, recent balance etc.  They did not provide on the OC's letter but on theirs!

I dont agree with their verification/validation! I plan to file a complaint with FTC, BBB and maybe AG!

Im first going to send them a second DV! Or what do you all think i should do?
Rebuilding and Reducing Debt, is my game plan.
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

They originally provided me with an invoiceon their letter head also. I sent 2nd DV, and they responded with a letter saying they already validated. Once I noticed they didn't submit a dispute, that's when I filed with the BBB. I would file with AG and BBB also. Good luck
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.