lynnc826

Portfolio Recovery JUDGMENT - DV or PFD????

In 2011 Portfolio Recovery Services filed a judgment against me for an account that I previously had with HHGregg.  The original amount of the judgment was around $2,000, but has now increased to around $2,750 since then.  My dilemma is not knowing what to do NOW in order to resolve this issue.  Would a debt verification letter work at this point or have I given up any rights under a DV Letter since I didn't respond to the judgment within 30 days?  Is there a way to get them to agree to remove it?  Should I offer to settlement with them?  And if we do settle, would they remove it from my reports?  I do not have a lot of money, but would be willing to pay approximately $500 to resolve the issue if that would remove it.  I contacted the court and was told that they received a gree certified card, although they couldn't read the name.  I am working hard to clean up my credit and finally now realize the importance of having a good credit score.  Has anyone had any luck with getting items removed or settling with this company?  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you!!

Shogun

Re: Portfolio Recovery JUDGMENT - DV or PFD????

A DV would serve no purpose here.  There's not any better validation than a court judgement against you.  I would try for a pay and have them vacate.

Starting Score: 504

July 2013 score: EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!
guiness56

You can't DV the courtts or a judgment. 

It sounds as though they may have gotten a default judgment because you didn't show up.  You can contact the clerk and find out what paperwork they have.

I can't say if the creditor would take $500 for a settlement, you would need to ask them.  They may refer you to their attorney.

A judgment is not as easily removed than other negative items.  Once paid it would need to be vacated and in some states they just don't allow it.

lynnc826

[ Edited ]

I was afraid that I was too late for a DV letter.   Their attorney sent me a letter a few weeks ago offering a settlement which was much too high for my budget.  I will write a letter to the attorney to see if they will settle for a smaller amount.  Thanks for the advice!

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}