cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Portfolio Recovery (UPDATE***DELETED*** I FILED STATEMENT OF SMALL CLAIMS)

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Portfolio Recovery (UPDATE I FILED STATEMENT OF SMALL CLAIMS)

@Anonymous wrote:

I agree with the part about holding off on letting the lawsuit go... but when you do get to the point where they've complied and you are ready to dismiss, don't try an agreed dismissal.  That requires PRA's cooperation, which as you have already learned you cannot expect.  File a Motion for Nonsuit, which only requires your signature as Plaintiff and nothing else from them, and move to nonsuit the matter without prejudice to your right to refile same at your cost, etc, etc.  All you're required to do is mail PRA a copy of it, you won't have to confer with them or their general counsel or anything like you would with an agreed dismissal.  

Assuming they've been served, they would answer.  I too have lots of experience dealing with PRA and their sister companies and client companies, in several state and federal courts over the years.  Their attorneys in Massachusetts will answer and attend if necessary, and PRA will pay them for it gladly and record the expense in their books without blinking.  They, like most CAs and other large finance corporations, anticipate legal fees and settlement costs as a cost of doing business.  They will point out that they have already resolved the issue, and ask the Court to dismiss your suit If they are feeling particularly vindictive that day, they may ask for you to be ordered to pay their fees and grant you nothing. , but in my experience they just let it go with asking for dismissal since the issue at hand is already resolved.  You did not specifically ask for a declaratory judgment saying that they are not creditors and cannot report anything as such in Massachusetts, which would be out of the scope of a small claims court anyway, so they really have nothing to fight you on remaining now that they've apparently decided to clear the reporting already.

When the time comes I will file a motion as you outlined. They would not be awarded fees in Massachusetts for this type of small claims issue. And, I do agree they would show up for Court. But who knows, it would have been a great learning experience that I would have enjoyed.

Message 71 of 97
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Portfolio Recovery (UPDATE I FILED STATEMENT OF SMALL CLAIMS)

Congrats Donny. Major step forward.

Message 72 of 97
bsal
Frequent Contributor

Re: Portfolio Recovery (UPDATE***DELETED*** I FILED STATEMENT OF SMALL CLAIMS)

BIG WOW CONGRATS DONNY I TOO HAD THE REMOVED FROM ALL 3 CREDIT REPORTS BUT I DON'T KNOW LIKE U GUYS SAY IG THEY MIGHT POP BACK UP
Message 73 of 97
Anonymous
Not applicable

If they agree to remove it in writing it will not show back up. Thanks!
Message 74 of 97
bsal
Frequent Contributor

Update : awhile ago I had posted thst Portfolio had been deleted off the 3 credit bureaus but I was still skeptical cause you guys say cause of the games they play it might return fastfoward to lastnight I received a letter from them saying they finished their investigation and will be removing all reports from the credit bureaus it will take up to 60 days . But it's already off I'm happy I have proof that I'm done with them for life
Message 75 of 97
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats!
Message 76 of 97
kennerchick
Frequent Contributor

@bsal wrote:
Update : awhile ago I had posted thst Portfolio had been deleted off the 3 credit bureaus but I was still skeptical cause you guys say cause of the games they play it might return fastfoward to lastnight I received a letter from them saying they finished their investigation and will be removing all reports from the credit bureaus it will take up to 60 days . But it's already off I'm happy I have proof that I'm done with them for life

Congrats!  I hope to have the same luck in the near future Smiley Happy

Starting all over again!
Message 77 of 97
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congratulations Donny! What a huge victory!
Message 78 of 97
Anonymous
Not applicable

This morning checked reports and PRA has deleted from all 3 CRA's as they promised. They deleted from Transunion April 29th (PRA was my final baddie on this report). FICO 8 went from 650 to 719. Equifax went from 653 to 670. I have two 60 day lates from an auto loan from back in 2009 that will be falling off in June and July which should give me the final good score boost on Equifax. Experian should update tomorrow with a large increase as PRA was my final baddie on that report.

The long hard fair battle worked.

Message 79 of 97
Anonymous
Not applicable

At this point should I file a motion to dismiss my statement of claim in small claims without prejudice as they have deleted the tradeline? Court date is in September. What should I do?

I do have in writing as you can see on this thread from PRA and their response from the CFPB stating they will delete and they have.

Message 80 of 97
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.