Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Portfolio Recovery...advice?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Portfolio Recovery...advice?

In preparing to qualify for a mortgage we started cleaning up husband's credit report.  I saw this collections account with Portfolio and at first thought it was from the hospital when our daughter was born in 2007.  I look at his Experian report and find that it was listed originally as a Capital One acct.  He hasn't had a Capital One account since 2001, so this was obviously illegally re-aged to make it appear as a more recent debt.

So I was fuming mad...DV'd them over the phone and was told they would send the paperwork only AFTER we sent them payment.  I told them no dice and hung up, sent them a DV via snail-mail the next day which of course they never responded to (and continued to call us several times a day).  Filed a complaint with Experian, which came back verified.  They continue to call and try to collect and continue to report this on his credit reports, if this account doesn't come off we're not going to qualify for a mortgage.

So yesterday I got fed up, sent them CMRRR a notice of ITS which I also included in complaints filed with my AG, the Virginia AG, the FTC and the Northern Virginia BBB.  Should I also send this information to all three CRA's as well?  

In addition, according to his credit report Portfolio states that the account was opened in 2007, but is scheduled to come off 10-2009...that doesn't add up.

I just found out today that on August 18th the Missouri AG filed suit against them for regularly violating the FCRA and FDCPA guidelines as well as consumer protection laws for the state of Missouri...think that will help them take our complaint more seriously?  I also let them know that I was contacting the AG's and FTC with my ITS letter.

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Portfolio Recovery...advice?

Be sure to keep hard copies of all CBs reporting the Cap1 account.  The drop date that is reported is your proof of DOFD and CRTP.

The date that the account was opened doesn't matter, it is the DOFD that does!

the date that the CA is reporting ( open date ) is only the date that they first started reporting. It has nothing to do with the date that the account was opened with the OC.  It must drop at the same time as the OC though.

Never talk to a CA!  Alwas know your SOL before doing anything with your CR!  Always DV  CMRRR before going on!

Going by the drop date reported the DOFD would be 10/2002.

Is Cap1 reporting?  Do you know when they last reported (old CR)?

Message Edited by HappyDays on 08-21-2009 08:33 AM
Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Cap1 isn't reporting at all on any of his reports.

Husband has 2 other CA's dropping within the next month, hopefully we'll see a jump in his credit score once this stuff gets cleaned up.

Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

it is very odd not to have cap1 reporting!  he might be beyond CRTP but you would not know unless you had old CRs with the OC reporting.

Keep all hard copies of old CR forever for this reason!  Pull your free CR from each CB every year.

Go to each CB and opt-out. This will help keep old collections from reappearing.

Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not to sound like a complete dunce, but what do you mean by opt-out?  Never heard of it before.
Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wait a minute, do you have to go to each CRA to opt out? i thought you only did it once?
Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

The CRAs sell your info to CAs. They can not do that when you opt-out.

You can also opt-out with creditors that you are in good standing with.

Use this link to opt-out of your credit reports

OPT-OUT CREDIT REPORTS (or call 1.888.567.8688)

Message Edited by HappyDays on 08-21-2009 11:41 AM
Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Still no word back from any of the places that I contacted...but it's only been about a week so I know it's early.

We had a dispute with First Premier because it was older than 7 years old, and the CRA's went ahead and deleted it...but in deleting his score dropped like 30 points!!  AHHH!!  

Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Okay...late last week I went ahead and mailed in disputes with EX, EQ, and TU about the Portfolio account.  I dug through the file cabinet and found his old credit reports from 2004 and 2005 which still had his old Cap1 account on them.  According to those the Cap1 account was due to drop off in February 2009 which it obviously did because of all the CR's I've pulled this year Cap1 is no where to be found.  Portfolio is still continuing to list this account on his CR's and quite frankly it's making me furious.

Anything I can do to make them hurry up and delete it?  

In addition I sent a notice to opt-out to all of the CB's.

Message Edited by mrsmartin428 on 09-01-2009 07:37 AM
Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just took another look at his Equifax report that I pulled last week...according to Equifax Portfolio is reporting that his payment status is "ok" every month...yet we have never sent them any money???  Could this be them trying to re-start the clock or some kind of data-entry error?  It started reporting that to Equifax in December 2007 all the way through to May 2009.  It doesn't list anything under "date of last payment" or "last payment amount" or "monthly payment" so I don't know what to do about that or what to think.
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.