cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Portfolio Recovery - changes name of original creditor every month?

tag
SusieQ
Regular Contributor

Portfolio Recovery - changes name of original creditor every month?

Every month Portfolio recovery updates my collection item, but changes the name of the original creditor:

1/2012 - 01 Hsbc Bank Nevada N A

2/2012 - Hsbc Bank Nevada N A

3/2012 - 01 Hsbc Bank Nevada N A

4/2012 - Hsbc Bank Nevada N A

5/2012 - 01 Hsbc Bank Nevada N A

6/2012 - Hsbc Bank Nevada N A

7/2012 - 01 Hsbc Bank Nevada N A

8/2012 - Hsbc Bank Nevada N A

9/2012 - 01 Hsbc Bank Nevada N A

10/2012 - Hsbc Bank Nevada N A

11/2012 - 01 Hsbc Bank Nevada N A

12/2012 - Hsbc Bank Nevada N A

They are doing this deliberately to imply a new collection each month.   Am I correct or just being paranoid?

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
DaBears
Senior Contributor

Re: Portfolio Recovery - changes name of original creditor every month?

That is illegal for them to do that. You should file a complaint with your States Attorney General. I live in IL and Portfolio has been sued here by our States Attorney General and it looks like they will be losing there business license soon. I would also dispute to the CB's what they are doing.

Message 2 of 10
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

OK... that is strange.  I've not seen that before.  I don't see how it would change anything on your report though.  But there does seem to be something hinky with that.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 3 of 10
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

If reported under the same collection, it would not imply a new collection.

Having no idea what distinction is implied by addition of the 01 in alternating months, it does look strange.  I dont see enough explanation to conclude that they are intentionally reported two different OCs.

Is the OC also reporting to the CRA, and if so, are they reporting a current balance? 

Stated differently, does the OC still own the debt, making the debt collector only an assigned agent of the OC?

Are they also changing any other reporting, such as the DOFD?

Message 4 of 10
SusieQ
Regular Contributor

It must be doing something because here is what my transunion change report shows each month:

OldNewComparison
OPEN   ACCOUNTS: 

(-1)     

CLOSED  ACCOUNTS:12 13 

(+1)    

only lines changed are Original Creditor and Date Reported. 

Message 5 of 10
SusieQ
Regular Contributor

original creditor shows charge off in 2010, zero balance, notation that debt sold.

Portfolio bought in 2011 and is reporting on transunion as collection agency.    they change name of creditor each month to put a 01 in front of name, then remove it next month.  I get credit alerts each month that a new collection has been posted.

Message 6 of 10
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

I would bet that they are still under the same contract with the same creditor, which would make it clear that no new creditor is involved.

Thus, to report in a way to lead the consumer to believe that a new collection is involved each month would clearly be deceptive.

Particularly if the CRA is also confused, and treating as a new collection.  That has adverse impact on others reading the CR.

I dont think a judge would view such tactics very favorably.

However, what they are gaining is unclear to me.   The exclusion of ANY reported collection is based solely on DOFD, so no issue of extending the reporting of a collection arises.

If they truly consider it a new collection, why are they reporting under the same collection account with the CRA, and not as a new collection?

Very puzzling..... 

Message 7 of 10
SusieQ
Regular Contributor

no, they are a junk debt buyer of an old orchard cc.    each month, they change the name by adding or removing "01-" in front of original creditor name.  not sure if they delete and add, or just update, but each month it looks like a new collection.

on my EQ and EX reports, they report it as a new installment loan in collections.    SOL expires in 55 days and when it does, I am pulling out the big guns on this bottom feeder.

Message 8 of 10
SusieQ
Regular Contributor

Re: Portfolio Recovery - UPDATE

one for the little guy.

Portfolio removed entries on all reports after I sent them 2 letters.

Message 9 of 10
DaBears
Senior Contributor

Re: Portfolio Recovery - UPDATE

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.