Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Portfolio Recovery help needed

tag
kuc21
Established Member

Portfolio Recovery help needed

I settled an account with Portfolio recovery back in 2011. As I look on my credit report all the other accounts I settle during this period report the x in the status box but they date back to 2011 and slashes after that or have stopped reporting. Portfolio however has the X as recent as February and March of 2014. Can they do this. The account was not a collections account them. Is this an inaccuracy that can possibly have this account removed? Please advise

Starting Score: Equifax 483: Experian: 543 Transunion: 574
Current Score: Equifax 677: Experian: 674 Transunion: 688
Goal Score: 750

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Portfolio Recovery help needed

You had an account with Portfolio Recovery that was not a collection?

Can you explain?

As to inaccuracies reported to a CRA, it is not a violatin per se to report inaccurate information.  Violation occurs when it is shown that the furnisher knew of its inaccuracy when they reported.

When a dispute is filed, the furnisher always has the opportunity to corrrect any inaccuracy.  If they cannot verify the accuracy as reported or corrrect so as to overcome any inaccuracy, then deletion is required of only the information that is disputed.

Message 2 of 5
kuc21
Established Member

It was a collections account. On the report it states it was a collections account as of February of this year. The other collections account I have on my report that I settled around the same time show that is was a collections account before I paid it and now has not reported anything since 2011. This one did not do this but it only shows that way on experian and not the other two bureaus

Starting Score: Equifax 483: Experian: 543 Transunion: 574
Current Score: Equifax 677: Experian: 674 Transunion: 688
Goal Score: 750

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

It was, is, and will always be a 'collection account'. What is relevant is whether it is reporting as having a $0 balance or not. If it was paid and is NOT reporting a $0 balance then it is not being reported correctly.

Unfair as it may be, yes they are allowed to update their reporting of a paid account. Most don't do it, but some do.

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Did you contact Portfolio and ask them for a copy of what they sent to the credit bureaus?   I did that ealier this week, I haven't gotten it yet, but I'll let you know when I do.    They told me they as soon as my account was paid they told the credit bureaus that it was paid.   They didn't however, inform the original creditor which I thought was odd, but hey I defaulted, so my bad.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.