cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Portfolio Recovery intentionally messing with me?

tag
rckstrscott
Valued Contributor

Portfolio Recovery intentionally messing with me?

So I have a collection account with Portfolio Recovery for 678 dollars. It is one of my final accounts. On Experian and TransUnion; it is listed and coded correctly as a collection account.

On Equifax, it was showing as a collection account, now it is showing as an Installment Loan / Late 120 days.

Now, before everyone jumps in and says 'it doesn't matter what it is showing, it is def a collection account' keep in mind, that myFico EQ score has dropped from 637 to 609 since I discovered it as showing displayed this way, so yes, it is defintely coded/showing wrong. There has been no change to my Equifax report aside from multiple deletions of collection accounts, and utilization went down from about 70 percent to just over 20 percent. I have applied for no new credit, and most inquirys have fallen off. My report is the cleanest it has been in years. There is no reason for this drop aside from this misreporting.

What options to do I have? PRA has ignored every letter for PFD, every letter for validation. It is almost like it is personal with these guys. How can I get this to code/show correctly? I fear the current 'late' payment from the PRA 'installment' loan is what is causing the drop.  Does anyone have a currect PRA email?

Is this a case where I should dispute with the CRA to attempt to get it to display correctly?

This one has puzzled me. I have managed to have success with most everything I have attempted, but I need some guidance from the vets on this one...

Starting FICO Score: October 2010: TU 498 | EQ: 502
Current FICO Scores:: May 2022: TU: 784 | EQ: 770 | EX: 790
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
purbutterfly77
Valued Member

Re: Portfolio Recovery intentionally messing with me?

• I saw in a later post that you ended up getting this account removed, care to share how?

I have a paid account with them that i have tried to GW many times.

But mainly I'm asking because in a seperate account of mine is posting the same way yours was.My Midland account on Equifax it is showing up as 120 days late in May 2011 and a type of installment loan. May of 2011 is when my employer made the last payment of my garnishment for the total amount I was sued for by Midland. I was only sued for around $800 dollars and it only took 3 full garnishments and a partial so 2 months to pay off, I find the $800 ridiculas because the limit on the OC  Imagine card was only 400 and some and I made payments to Midland totaling $300 before they sued me. However Midland is claiming that my employer failed to account for the interest, so in August of 2011 they garnished $30 more dollars from my paycheck. 120 days.

On Equifax, they are reporting as a factoring company (type of loan) which is how the 120 days can be reported. Midland claims that 2 CRA's said they can report it as factoring, even though this was a closed, charged-off debt that was purchased. Also according to Midland, they never reported me as 120 days late. They only report paid in full, was a collection. They do not report lates. That I must be purchasing my report from a less reputable credit source who is filling in that field as 120 days late. That I should pull my report from Equifax them selves, I sent a copy of my actual Equifax report showing the 120 late from Equifax and Midland still convinced the BBB that I was crazy and got this from somewhere else that they don't report 120 days late. Even my lender pulled reports has this as 120 late.

All this stuff is just so frustrating, I found my dream home and i have until March 8th to either raise my Transunion score 3 points or my Equifax score 14 points to be approved. i believe this 120 day late is what is keeping my equifax score down.

Message 2 of 4
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@rckstrscott wrote:

So I have a collection account with Portfolio Recovery for 678 dollars. It is one of my final accounts. On Experian and TransUnion; it is listed and coded correctly as a collection account.

On Equifax, it was showing as a collection account, now it is showing as an Installment Loan / Late 120 days.

Now, before everyone jumps in and says 'it doesn't matter what it is showing, it is def a collection account' keep in mind, that myFico EQ score has dropped from 637 to 609 since I discovered it as showing displayed this way, so yes, it is defintely coded/showing wrong. There has been no change to my Equifax report aside from multiple deletions of collection accounts, and utilization went down from about 70 percent to just over 20 percent. I have applied for no new credit, and most inquirys have fallen off. My report is the cleanest it has been in years. There is no reason for this drop aside from this misreporting.

What options to do I have? PRA has ignored every letter for PFD, every letter for validation. It is almost like it is personal with these guys. How can I get this to code/show correctly? I fear the current 'late' payment from the PRA 'installment' loan is what is causing the drop.  Does anyone have a currect PRA email?

Is this a case where I should dispute with the CRA to attempt to get it to display correctly?

This one has puzzled me. I have managed to have success with most everything I have attempted, but I need some guidance from the vets on this one...

If they reported a late payment, which they are not supposed to do, then that is probably where the drop came from.

When you say they ignored your DV, were they timely?

My only suggestion would be the direct dispute under FCRA 623(a)(8).  They have to investigate and correct reporting errors, etc and let you know the outcome within 30 days.  Maybe that would make them take action.  According to what you posted, they are already in violation of misreporting so if they don't respond to the direct dispute it'll be another one.  Then I would file a suit against them.

Message 3 of 4
DaBears
Senior Contributor

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.