01-10-2013 07:50 AM
I got one of those offer letters from Portfolio where I can either "settle" or "pay in full" with three different payment options for each. I'd save a little bit of money on a couple of the options.
My thought is though that I would rather try a PFD and see where that goes. At the very least I don't want to talk with them by phone so I'm wondering if I were to choose one of their payment options if I should respond via letter so I have a record.
01-10-2013 08:44 AM
Keep a Paper Trail.
Stay Off the Phone.
They are my toughest nut to crack. I've sent them several PFD...no response to any of them. I'm hoping they sell off so I can pay the new CA and get rid of Portfolio. Looks like my only option at this point. GRRRR
01-10-2013 04:33 PM
I am dealing with them as well and am very confused. I am new to this and I really want to be able to own a home one day. They have the same debt listed on my credit report twice, except they are charging a higher amount than what the original debt actually is.
01-10-2013 04:58 PM - edited 01-10-2013 04:59 PM
If their options were payment options that did not specify that the credit reporting would also be deleted, you dont have an option to select at this point.
You have a counter-offer to present. In my opinion, making a counter offer in writing is not absolutely necessary, as it only has any weight if they accept. It is their acceptance that you should definately get in writing prior to making any payment.
I am not one who recommends categorically that a consumer should never call a debt collector. You are negotiating. Personal discussions might have a postive impact, and at the least would save a lot of paper back and forth. Just be careful not to admit to the debt or make any firm commitments until they respond in writing.
Prior to deciding to offer a PFD, what is the SOL status of the debt? They have their own options, one of which might be bringing civil action.